Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sorry you're having to do that - good luck with it and let us know how it goes!
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Mine had some shims on it from the factory, just so you know.

I was under my boat the other day and it looks as if it could be shimmed - but can't tell for sure because of all the 5200 gooped up around it. I'm sure Jim Jackson could tell you if it was common practice to shim the strut. I'll bet it was because I've found that there are hardly two boats (from the era) out there that are alike.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Sucks to hear Maple. If only everything on these old boats could be simply R&R.

Yeah, be prepared to do whatever it takes to make things line up (the factory sure did). My strut was definitely bent from PO mishap to where the shaft was contacting the hull near the shaft log exit, so I paid to have it straightened. After reinstalling using the original bolt holes (and forgetting to check the shaft alignment in the shaft log until after the 5200 had set ) - I had to use a six foot section of 1" bar stock to "unstraighten" the strut so the shaft would center in the log.

Good luck & hope you're back on the water soon.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Re seated it yesterday with 4200....Thought my dry fit was good...WRONG! Tonight I go at it with 5200 and have to add a couple more shims. I just don't like it cuz there weren't shims there before...I dewinterized her after work for inspiration....
    90 Conbrio

Have you thought of dropping or raising the front engine mounts to help get the strut aligned correctly???? This way you can fine tune the strut alignment without shims ??

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by mapleleaf View Post
    Do I wish I'd bought DIM's strut for $198, yes,
    Well, you might have had to shim it too. There are a lot of variables in play, and I suspect every boats set up is unique. Give her the shims she demands, lock it down, goop her up, and move on...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    Well, you might have had to shim it too. There are a lot of variables in play, and I suspect every boats set up is unique. Give her the shims she demands, lock it down, goop her up, and move on...
    Absolutely!
    90 Conbrio