Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

This is a fallacy, as you're assuming the only option is a $30k-$50k boat. You can get an inboard that is functional for as little as $2000, or just a working boat for a few hundred. You can get a nice inboard starting around $5000. There's no need to wait 5-7 years and pay $30k-$50k, it is not the only option, though if you act as if it's a $30k+ boat or no boat, then it's easier to justify paying all that interest.
    I am not going to get 20% of the enjoyment out of an old boat, especially an I/O. I have been riding behind my aunts i/o for the past 10 years. I havent gotten nearly the enjoyment out of that boat than I have with the new one. Not to mention my main deal is surfing, and it seems the newer boats are really designed with surfing in mind, and the older boats are not. I guess if all I wanted to do was put put around, I could get anything, but thats not my goal.
    Last edited by CarZin; 06-23-2011 at 09:16 AM.

At the dealership I work at our interest rates that we do through us are 5.99% for 10 years and 7.49% for 15 years. Most of the Supras we have in stock are running upper 50's to low 60's fairly loaded(those are 2011 21V and 22V). Test drives are usually required by us before delivery, but some customers don't have time. PM me if you want anymore info.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius22 View Post
    At the dealership I work at our interest rates that we do through us are 5.99% for 10 years and 7.49% for 15 years. Most of the Supras we have in stock are running upper 50's to low 60's fairly loaded(those are 2011 21V and 22V). Test drives are usually required by us before delivery, but some customers don't have time. PM me if you want anymore info.
    Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! So most people do not even drive the boat on the water before purchasing? Kinda crazy.. I know Id want to..

I been thinking like this.. I pay About $500 in Credit cards and loans I aquired over my years of being out of control... And I thought MAYBE... If I sold my boat and paid them off... That would mean I have $500 More a month to spend! So IF I could get a payment of 300-400 a month.. and HAVE a NEW boat.. Id technically be saving $100 a month!

But this isn't going to happen till I get called back to work.. Or maybe even never!! But I will say its nice to know I have a nice inboard thats restored to like new and if I ever got in a bind that its like money in the bank sitting there

Quote Originally Posted by dshaff24 View Post
    Exactly what I wanted to hear! Thanks! So most people do not even drive the boat on the water before purchasing? Kinda crazy.. I know Id want to..

I been thinking like this.. I pay About $500 in Credit cards and loans I aquired over my years of being out of control... And I thought MAYBE... If I sold my boat and paid them off... That would mean I have $500 More a month to spend! So IF I could get a payment of 300-400 a month.. and HAVE a NEW boat.. Id technically be saving $100 a month!

But this isn't going to happen till I get called back to work.. Or maybe even never!! But I will say its nice to know I have a nice inboard thats restored to like new and if I ever got in a bind that its like money in the bank sitting there
    Most people do test drive, but there are some odd ones that just know what they want and don't worry about it. I know I test drive cars before I buy so I have no idea why people wouldn't automatically do it with a boat. If your boat is in good condition then trading it on a new one would bring your payment close to that. Most Moombas/Supras will get you 10 grand in a trade no matter what, but if they are in good condition then you're looking more in the 20's, 30's and 40's. Very new ones are still in the 50's and 60's.
    SC is switching over to all CAT engines next year so the 2011's with the old 325 are a deal right now because they aren't a CAT engine, saves you about 2 grand. EPA is mandating all CAT engines after 2011 so the 2011's are good deals if you're looking at a boat for that reason alone.
    Last edited by Mobius22; 06-23-2011 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dshaff24 View Post
    10years at 5.99% with $400 monthly payment = $36K original note

15years at 7.49% with $400 monthly payment = $43K original note

Quote Originally Posted by KY Steve View Post
    10years at 5.99% with $400 monthly payment = $36K original note

15years at 7.49% with $400 monthly payment = $43K original note
    That's about what I pay for rent for my son's apartment while in college. So, after all the boys graduate from college in 2018 I should be able to afford a new boat, right? Oh wait - the prices will go up by then. Hmmmm.
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I have been observing from the back row here...This post is not only very long and very intense and very personal to alot of folks - it has been one thing to me - educational!
    What I can say is just this - if it makes you happy - do it! Don't justify the price - justify the memories you'll make with your kids and your friends. Some of mine and my families best times came from the 1984 Conroy we had bought for 4000 bucks in 1994 and had for 9 years! If the price is too high and you cant afford it - get a cheaper one - the family doesn't care what boat you have - just that you all were together... if you can swing for the new boat - DO IT...if ya can't - then shop and find one ya can afford... I hesitated buying the 05' Launch a couple of weeks ago cuz I thought it was foolish and irresponsible/impulsive - then a friend told me " I aint never seen a Brinks Truck in a funeral procession" -
    That sealed the deal for me...I went and got it...
    oh by the way - I have the old Supra for sale LOL
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

Quote Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
    I am not going to get 20% of the enjoyment out of an old boat, especially an I/O. I have been riding behind my aunts i/o for the past 10 years. I havent gotten nearly the enjoyment out of that boat than I have with the new one. Not to mention my main deal is surfing, and it seems the newer boats are really designed with surfing in mind, and the older boats are not. I guess if all I wanted to do was put put around, I could get anything, but thats not my goal.
    We're not talking about I/Os here. Sure I had plenty of fun behind I/Os growing up and when I got my first boat, which was an I/O. It's not the same, and I'd sooner be riding behind a $2000 ProStar 190 than a brand new "wake" model I/O.

But the choice for an boat is not an I/O for cash of a $30k-$50k inboard on a loan. There are plenty of inboards out there starting at $2000 and particularly around the $5000 range that will be great for slalom/wakeboard/kneeboard. Surfing, there are fewer but they are out there. I rarely surf so I'm no authority of that, but look at WakeMikey's surf setup on an old SunSport. I'm not really into surfing but it sure seems he's got a great setup out of an older cheaper boat that I'm sure is paid for.

If you want new and you don't mind spending the money then great. There's still a easily affordable with cash option for those same activities. I have just as much fun on my old paid for Saltare as I do when I go out on Malibus, Mastercrafts, and other new high dollar boats. I don't just "put around" either, I drop in 1/4 mile from where I ride, and typically ride the whole time the boat is in the water.

I am with Tim. Can I make the argument that my boat is worth it? Heck no. It spends 5 months in storage, and only gets used during weekends the rest of the time. However, the time spent with family and friends is immeasurable, and I wouldn't trade that time to get the money I spent on this "toy" back.

Lloyd

Yeah, I can't cast opinions. Seeing the other toys that are parked in the shop next to the boat, it's the cheap one.

I'm with Steve, I try to push the envelope of life as much as I can.

Another great quote, don't know who said it, I think a country singer:

"There will be two dates on your tombstone, but it's not the dates that are important, it's the little dash in between them."