Default Outboard problems

So I know this is way off topic on this forum but I figured that someone on here has to have some experience with outboards.

My boss is having problems with his Johnson 35 hp outboard on his fishing boat. The problem is, when in gear, the motor bogs down when throttle is applied and it quits running. But, when you put it in neutral, the engine will rev up and run fine. It is only in gear when it bogs down. He says it's behaving almost like it's just not getting gas, but that didn't make much sense to me since it runs fine when in neutral.

Someone told him they think it's when a load is applied to the motor that it bogs down so it might be a compression issue or something. But I think that's fishy because it ran fine for him a few days in a row and then all of a sudden it didn't. Also, it will barely idle forward when in gear, so there isn't much of a load at all there.

Again, sorry for being off-topic but I just figured someone on here would have some input. Thanks.

Sounds like a clogged jet in the carb. this will allow it to rev when in neutral, but just won't deliver the fuel when under load. I am assuming it is a 2 stroke, tell him not to run it any longer till he gets it fixed. this lean condition is the death of many jet ski's and outboards. Think about this....if it's not getting enough fuel, and it's a 2 stroke, it's also not getting enough oil....
    He can pull the carb off and pull the jets, try getting a fine piece of wire (after soaking the jets in Carb cleaner) through it. blow with compressed air and re-install. What you are describing is a common problem with jet skis...
    Jamie Warwick
    Rowlett Texas
    2002 Supra Launch 22

Thanks for the info, I told him to run some sea foam through the gas for a bit to see if that clears it out first before he tears apart his motor, which he doesn't have any experience doing. Do you think that would work?

Sounds maybe stupid but have you already checked there isn't any fishingline at the propshaft.

Greetz
    Supra TS6M '89
    custom tower, heater, tower lights, led interior lights, tower speakers, bimini, etc.etc.

FeAr iS yOuR mInD KiLlEr !!!!!!!!

He says he doesn't know, he'll check when he gets home