Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Canadian Buying Boat in USA

I am looking to buy a boat in the states in the near future. I have previously purchased many snowmobiles and ATV's in the states. I know about paying both taxes and the stupid $207 RIV fee. I was wondering what registration I will need to register the trailer and boat in Canada.

I believe the US title should be enough at the border...For a vehicle import...
    90 Conbrio

It depends on what state it's coming from...

http://boating.ncf.ca/buy-usa.html

If you scroll down there's a couple step-by-steps near the bottom of the page.

You need to call the manufacturer of the trailer and have them email or fax you a "letter of no recall". You need this to cross the border. It is free. Here are the things you will need and I encourage you to fax copies of it all to the border crossing before just to be sure.
    -Letter of no recall for trailer
    -Signed bill of sale (I would have one for boat and trailer)
    -2 signed titles

You should be fine with this stuff.

Recall clearance has not been required for many years now, and some states are non-titling so you only need the title from a state that requires them.

Definitely get two separate invoices for the boat and trailer, way easier.

I did it a year ago and was in and out of the customs office in under 15 minutes.

Awesome didn't know about the two seperate bills of sale. Also don't have to pay RIV on a vehicle over 15 years old sweet.

Interesting about the "letters of no recall"...... Are you sure? I help some canadians find boats in the states and prepare all their paperwork for them and RIV north of the Montana border and Washington border said they need them... Trailer companies are still providing them too.
    I need to look into that if it did indeed change.

If you look at the link I provide above, responses dating back as far as 2006 have people saying no longer needed...

They did not ask for mine either.

Cheers

Hey Doc1, you should add you location to your profile...helps people give advice in situations like this.

I would make sure you have one. I have sold roughly 15 boats up there in the last 2 years and they have been required and according to the RIV site look like they are still required. http://www.riv.ca/RecallClearance.aspx

Everyone has made it through customs in roughly 10-15 mins. One guy got stuck cause he did not have the actual title, but was going to try it. His boat sat at the border for a few additional weeks.

Bottom line is not sure who is right, but they are all very easy steps and I would make sure I had it or risk some major headaches.