Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default OJ dripless shaft seal

I am going to install a new generation OJ dripless shaft seal in the ol BEAST. The unit needs to be cooled as well. My plan is to tap into the Hi pressure fuel pump coolant hose and redirect. The coolant is all on the hi pressure side of the water cooling system. Note all coolers on my engine are on pressure side. From the transmission cooler drain fitting a 1/8" NPT fitting with a 90* 3/8 barb, to the bottom of the Hi pressure fuel pump coolant chamber. Out of the coolant chamber which is on top back down to the shaft seal, and then out of the boat. Currently the system dumps back into the thermostat housing. vie a one way valved fitting. This water will be cold water as it is pressurized and before the heat of the engine. I am open to suggestions if any have some. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

I don't see why this wouldn't work. Most tap out of the hoses to the manifolds ut that water passes through the thermostat housing and will be warmer though not straight hot out of the engine. If you're worries put your fitting in that line and run the engine so be sure you're getting a good stream of cool water.

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    I am going to install a new generation OJ dripless shaft seal in the ol BEAST. The unit needs to be cooled as well. My plan is to tap into the Hi pressure fuel pump coolant hose and redirect. The coolant is all on the hi pressure side of the water cooling system. Note all coolers on my engine are on pressure side. From the transmission cooler drain fitting a 1/8" NPT fitting with a 90* 3/8 barb, to the bottom of the Hi pressure fuel pump coolant chamber. Out of the coolant chamber which is on top back down to the shaft seal, and then out of the boat. Currently the system dumps back into the thermostat housing. vie a one way valved fitting. This water will be cold water as it is pressurized and before the heat of the engine. I am open to suggestions if any have some. Al
    Hi Al,
    My boat was equipped with a dripless system by the previous owner. He tapped the water source from the exhaust cooling circuit, which is upstream of the thermostat. I like this because the water is cold, and it is not sensitive to thermostat failures. The exhaust risers (and the dripless shaft seal) are constantly fed water by the raw water pump. It sounds like your plan is essentially the same. It should work.
    Last edited by rludtke; 07-04-2011 at 03:38 PM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    Hi Al,
    My boat was equipped with a dripless system by the previous owner. He tapped the water source from the exhaust cooling circuit, which is upstream of the thermostat. I like this because the water is cold, and it is not sensitive to thermostat failures. The exhaust risers (and the dripless shaft seal) are constantly fed water by the raw water pump. It sounds like your plan is essentially the same. It should work.
    I'm liking this idea of cool water.

Rick, do you have a photo of your setup?

Quote Originally Posted by bdumas35 View Post
    I'm liking this idea of cool water.

Rick, do you have a photo of your setup?
    Hi Bdumas.

I am bringing my boat home from my friends dock tomarrow. I can take some pic's for you then.

I've been following your rebuild, your transom repairs look fantastic. What is with what looks like wood in your exhaust holes? Did you add wood to the fwd side of transom?
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

Hi Bdumas.

I am bringing my boat home from my friends dock tomarrow. I can take some pic's for you then.

I've been following your rebuild, your transom repairs look fantastic. What is with what looks like wood in your exhaust holes? Did you add wood to the fwd side of transom?
    Thanks Rick.

I think you are seeing the stringer through the exhaust hole. I didn't add anything on the inside of the transom at the exhaust.

I don't think the temp of the water matters that much. My understanding is that the water feed to the seal is to prevent/flush out any air pockets that can form up in the shaft log, behind the seal face, at planing speeds. The directions on my PSS state that the water flush is not needed on slow, non-planing hulls.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

The water cooling the shaft seal will also be used for cooling the fuel pump. Note the shaft on my boat runs 1-1 with the engine. Max RPM's are 5,000. I usually don't run near that at all but sometimes we open it up. Normal knee boarding rpm is 2k and barfooting is 4k +-. While the shaft is out i am also going to replace the strut brgs with the new composite type from OJ. I hope all had a great 4th, I know we did. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

Hi Bdumas.

Here are two pictures of the water connection for the dripless seal. The cooling supply hose for the right nand riser has a T fitting, to which the small hose for the dripless seal supply connects.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M

The thought I have was to tap into the cool water which also cools the fuel pump. On our 496 HO the Hi pressure fuel pump must be cooled by water to keep from overheating. Instead of returning the spent fuel pump coolant water back to the engine, I will inject it into the shaft seal. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor