Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My setup is different from any other I've seen on this board. My engine block has a water fitting very low down on the driver side of it. This is threaded with a hose clamped tube attached that goes to my dripless shaft seal. It was setup by a PO so I have no idea how or why they did it this way.... but it works!!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

water temp does matter. My 2008 22ssv came with an OJ drippless and I have been thru 3 of them. On the 3rd replacement, the water supply was moved from hot (factory) to the cooler water supply. Have not had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyH View Post
    water temp does matter. My 2008 22ssv came with an OJ drippless and I have been thru 3 of them. On the 3rd replacement, the water supply was moved from hot (factory) to the cooler water supply. Have not had a problem since.

I am about to change mine for the second time, this one failed after about 50 hours..... I spoke to Eric at OJ and as suspected and hopefully this last one failed due to having a cat engine and the water supply coming off the exhaust manifold. Higher exhaust mani temps 200+ will probably cause failure of the seals so I will be rerouting my supply line to a pre exhaust supply line and hope that it lasts longer. Time will tell....
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

oem pss seal from 1987 doesn't use water supply. i wonder why dripless designs require cooling now.

Default dripless seal

You might want to reconsider the dripless seal route.
    I have an 09 22SSV that has had the dripless seal replaced twice and still leaks like like it originally did when I bought the boat new. Coupler alignment is correct and within tolerances so unless the prop shaft is bent which I doubt I am at a loss to explain the leaking. Had a old 05 Mobius LSV with a couple hundred hours on it and never had a problem. If I could go back to the old packing packing nut and seal fitting I certainly would.
    Regards,

we now know that the housing on the dripless is the culprit and not the seal failing. the housing heats up with hot water, expands and allows leakage between the seal and the housing. Although the seal does not need the cooling maybe the housing does.
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I have installed the New OJ seal in many boats, Always utilizing cold water for the coolant. On our own personal boat, 1985 Beast with a 496 HO at WOT the engine and prop shaft run just at 5,000 rpm. Coolant and proper alignment is critical. Once the New OJ seal was installed, no more leaks at all. I am extreamly happy with the new seal assy. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor