Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Of course this is no guarantee, but that same rudder in my '89 was an exact fit, requiring no modification whatsoever. I used loc-tite on the set screw that holds the rudder in, since it's just that and the tiller arm clamp that hold it into the boat. The rest of the installation was quick and easy, except for laying on the floor of the boat and reaching in under the gas tank, but that's just a little uncomfortable, not complicated. No leaks, and the boat steers like brand new.

Good luck, it should be pretty straightforward.
    1989 Bravura - repowered with 2001 PCM 351 GT-40 - 1.23:1 PCM Trans.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

Thanks. I am hoping it goes easy.

I was planning on draining the gas tank and pulling it out to do this job. I have read that its possible to do it through that access in the floor but I think I would rather have all the space I need to do it through the top

If you can get the tank out, by all means, do it. I couldn't get mine out, so I settled for having it up about 4" for a little extra room.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

Man..that sucks. I would have bought a salvage one to fix that prob.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post
    Man..that sucks. I would have bought a salvage one to fix that prob.
    A salvage tank? I put the old one back down to its original position after installing the rudder, I just couldn't get it all the way out of the boat, or at least not without WAY more effort than just working underneath it with it raised up a little.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

My 92 Comp steers hard to the right also.....Now i'm a little worried.....Stinky_1 or anyone else any idea what caused this??? I am gonna take a look at mine tonight when I get home.

Right hand rotation (at the prop) tends to turn harder to the right anyway. But if you want to check out your rudder, grab it at the bottom and work it back and forth, it should have little to no play. Mine was actually bent and cracked where the shaft meets the rudder, which is why I replaced it; it also had probably 1/8" of movement at the bottom of the rudder port.

Yours may just need new packing, or grease, to improve your steering feel. Most rudders will have a little play, unless they're brand new.
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

Power turns are mostly done to the right hand side... Keep those shafts lubed with some high quality marine grease!!! Nothing better to keep the seal water tight and EZ to turn. Also watch out for bent bolts and the marine plywood rot on the upper portion of the shaft hole.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Quote Originally Posted by DAFF View Post
    Power turns are mostly done to the right hand side....
    True with a LH rotation prop, but it's easier to the left, with a RH prop. Your 86 is probably LH like the 85 I had, but my 89 is RH. Of course rudder tuning is a factor too.

And good advice on the bent bolts, rotten wood, grease, etc... it's an often-neglected part of the boat!
    1989 comp - sold
    1985 comp - sold

wow, I missed a lot in the last week.

I know mine was turning to the left because my front fins are actually bent. I never noticed it before. I am suspecting that the previous owner had the boat rocking in the waves on the shore at some point. They are turned out to the right and curled a bit as well. This made the boat steer to the left at higher speeds. The rudder had to be turned 90 degrees off center to compensate and drive straight. I believe this to be why I had a hard time turning right.

I have 2 theories why my rudder broke.

1) Because the fins were riding on the rocks I think the rudder was as well. This put stress cracks in it. By having the boat wanting to turn left, and me doing a very hard right at speed it just bent those cracks open more and broke the whole thing off.

or

2) I hit a stick of some sort, it got into my prop which wedged it into the rudder and broke it off. I do have an extra ding in the prop now, but its hard to say for sure. What I do know is that I did not "see" any driftwood or sticks in the water in front of me just before it happened. So I am leaning towards #1.

I took some pics of the removal and install. Ill post them up in a minute