Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default no surfing in indiana?

wow...

http://www.wowo.com/ArticleDisplay/t...-July-1st.aspx

(AP) The Indiana Department of Natural Resources announced Thursday that starting July 1, a new law will go into effect that will restrict wake boarding and surfing and teak surfing behind certain motorboats.

Teak surfing, or holding onto the swim platform while the boat is underway at any speed including running idle, will become illegal behind all motorboats powered by an inboard, inboard/outboard or outboard engine.

The same law will apply with wake boarding/surfing. According to DNR Commander, Lt. Gary Whitaker, the new law was proposed after the state saw an increased number of carbon monoxide poisoning cases from teak surfing and propeller injuries from wake surfing. Whitaker said this new law applies to activities that take place directly behind the boat in the wake where the wake is the means of propulsion to the individual.

Whitaker said if a person is skiing or tubing and is not directly behind the boat and the rope is the means of propulsion, then the law does not apply.

Whitaker also said wake surfing has increased the amount of damage to other vessels due to the fact that the boats are producing huge wakes. Those wakes then crash into boats and piers and end up causing secondary damage.

Violation of the new law could include up to $500 in fines and court costs, which estimate to be around $130

Jeez Salty. Cross your fingers that our local popos don't get any ideas.

Ughh.... I think the Indiana DNR is suffering from carbon monoxied poisoning!
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Ok , It is still fine to wakesurf behind a inboard ......not behind a outboard or outdrive

Chapter 13. Motorboat Watersports

Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply when a motorboat is moored, anchored, docked, or aground.
    Sec. 2. The requirements and prohibitions set forth in this chapter are in addition to the

requirements and prohibitions set forth in IC 14-15-2, IC 14-15-3, IC 14-15-4, 14-15-8 and IC 14-15-12.
    Sec. 3. An individual may not do the following:
    (1) Operate a motorboat inboard or have the inboard engine of a motorboat run idle while an individual is holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any part of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed.
    (2) Operate a motorboat powered by an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:
    (A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;
    (B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or
    (C) floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.
    (3) Operate a motorboat with the number of individual riders on a towed device that exceeds the listed capacity on the towed device or the owner's manual.
    Sec. 4. An individual who violates this chapter commits a Class C infraction
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

I see absolutly no problem with this new law. I have seen many people nearly die from teak surfing. This law does apply to Inboards as well as outboard, and stern drives. This however does not apply to a person using a Boom for wakeboard, barefooting, or skiing. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

Quote Originally Posted by beast 496 View Post
    I see absolutly no problem with this new law. I have seen many people nearly die from teak surfing. This law does apply to Inboards as well as outboard, and stern drives. This however does not apply to a person using a Boom for wakeboard, barefooting, or skiing. Al
    You have me beast, I'm confused as I see no mention of inboards in 13-3-2.
    The teak surfing is covered in 13-3-1. But wakesurfing behind an inboard is not covered as I read it. Maybe I am interpreting your post wrong?
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

(C) floating on a board on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway using the wake itself as the means of propulsion.
    I don't know guys, I think 13.3.c can be interpreted as no wake surfing...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    I don't know guys, I think 13.3.c can be interpreted as no wake surfing...
    But at the heading of the section there is no mention of an inboard while the other two types of boats are listed. The previous section 13.3.1 references inboards. So since it is not listed it does not apply to inboards in 13.3.2
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    Doug

(2) Operate a motorboat powered by an outboard motor or equipped with an outdrive unit while an individual is:
    (A) holding onto the swim platform, swim deck, swim step, swim ladder or any portion of the exterior of the transom of a motorboat while the motorboat is underway at any speed;
    (B) swimming, or floating on or in the wake directly behind a motorboat that is underway; or
    Your right docdrs, I see it now. (C) is a restriction placed on outboards and outdrive equipped boats. This being the case, I agree with it too. This is simply enforcing what should be common sense.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

I think I got out just in time.