Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I totally and utterly agree that surfing behind an outboard or I/O should be illegal...it's far, far too dangerous to be allowable.

think thats bad, we got a guy on shoals the surfs behind an offshoar fishing boat with a 225 outboard on it.

Can't regulate stupid.

Better keep a copy of that law in your boat. I know it sounds corny, but many of these watercops are going off what they interpret or hear without reading the actual regulations.

I had a water cop try and tell me I needed 2 fire extinguishers on board. Reality is I did have two, but one had expired over winter and I forgot to check it. So he tried to start writing. I told him any boat under 26 feet is not required to have two. He said I was wrong, blah, blah, lecture. So I go into my storage hatch, pull out my laminated TWRA official law and requirements book and showed him where he was wrong. Helps having those little things around.

I'm not surprised by this law to be quite honest. There's having fun, and being stupid. Stupid seems to outweigh fun.

Talking

Maybe the President or some politician has suffered in incident of either Carbon Monoxide induced stupidity resulting in injury ( it's obvious sum'n aint right with all them folks) and need reason/cause to blame it on - therefore regulate and ensure our health and well being by interfering in our lives once again... Government needs to get out of the way of "Natural Selection" - then the herd will automatically thin out the idiots and we'll all have waay more fun surfing without the concern over the guy a few hundred yards away surfin behind his Evinrude...one less guy to wait on at the boat ramp!
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

^^^^^^^preach on! i have been saying this for years, as long as the act being commited cant hurt anyone else let the stupid do what they want (surfing,helmets,seat belts)

I'll second jsandy's motion.

The problem with that theory is that stupid is infectious...if the boat owner says "i do it all the time" someone with no boat experience may trust them that it's ok. Yes, that also makes the other person rather dumb, but still...

Ok, on a lighter note about 2 years ago I was bet I wouldn't barefoot nude in front of the local on water pub. I did, so does that make me stupid or just dumb. lol Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

Nothing stupid about it...simply adventurous!