Question HELP questions on purchasing 1985 Supra TS6M!!! please

Hello, a guy just out of town has a 1985 supra comp ts6m sitting in his front yard. He wants 3,000 for it.

bads: motor will not start, 2 frost plugs have popped

Goods: great original interior, beautiful exterior, single owner (bought new), barefot boom

I said that $2,500 is my max to spend on a boat (college years) he asked for my number and he will get back to me.

I called around and found some things to go back and look for, water in the oil, compression test, pumps, stringer checks, engine mounts..

What do I need to look for that are red flags?
    Is this a fair price at 2,500?
    I am worried about the motor, he mentioned it has not run since 06... It has just been sitting.

What is best?
    Please help- all the input i truly appreciate

-Podritz

That boat has a cracked block count on a complete engine replacement. There is a good chance the exhaust manifolds are also cracked due to freeze damage. Also check the floor for soft spots and motor mount bolts make sure they can tighten up then remove a couple and make sure they come out clean and dry. Soft spots and loose motor mount bolts are good indications of stringer rot. You can figure 3-5 k for stringers and 2-4 k for engine replacement. If you are on a budget this boat is not for you.
    Last edited by michael hunter; 07-18-2011 at 06:19 AM.

Are you hoping to buff this boat out and go skiing, or are you looking for a restoration project?

This boat sounds like it would make for a great restoration project, but I think that the likelyhood that an oil change and a tune up will get you out skiing in two weeks is slim. There is a lot of unknowns associated with the boat, and a lot of risk.

In my opinion, you will need to spend about $6000 to purchase a dependable daily driver.

If the floors and stringers check out ok, you may have have a good start on a project, and I think a very good price. The engine will obviously require attention. The fact that the block has been exposed to freezing temps puts it in doubt, but then again, the freeze plugs may have protected it from damage. It is very hard to tell. A cracked block is not repairable. The range of outcomes are: You could put effort and money into getting it started only to find out that the block has multiple cracks, and is getting water in the oil, or you may find no issues.

If your budget could support an engine overhaul, then at least the engine will become a known commodity. An engine overhaul is on the order of $4000, give or take ~$1000. Assuming all else is in great working order, this investment of ~$6000 will set you up with a nice boat.

Another option might be to hunt around for a used running PCM351 to exchange this engine with. Sometimes Yacht owners remove running engines to re-engine with new, and the marina that does the work sells them at a used price.
    Last edited by rludtke; 07-18-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

1K max and that has to include the trailer. Good luck Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

$2500 is way too much for a raft. I offer $1000.