Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Out 6-8 Weeks, Advice?

Well I came up short on a tantrum and messed my foot up. Fractured a bone and pulled a ligament apart that holds the bones together. Looking at a cast no matter what and possibly surgery on Friday, doctor says 6-8 weeks no matter what of recovery time. Can't believe it, the most beautiful time of the year, I've done the trick a hundred times. It's tough sitting in my boat watching my friends enjoy 100 degree air, 90 degree water, and only a breath of wind.
    Also, my senior year college ski season starts in 7 weeks, so that's great.

Anybody who has had injuries have any tips on dealing with the torture that is not being able to ride?

I had 2 back surgeries on the first of June last year. Missed almost all of the year - got out twice before, and twice afterwards. It's tough, but your body is more important, so take care of it!
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Man that's rough, can't imagine being laid up that badly.

This is frustrating because I've rolled my ankles a dozen times during basketball games and that kind of pain feels the same as my foot does right now, and with my ankles I was able to ice it and work it back into shape... now I just have to sit and wait..

Clermont, Fl (wakeboarding capitol of the world)

"Anybody who has had injuries have any tips on dealing with the torture that is not being able to ride?"

That sucks man. Wishing you a speedy recovery. Can you get a waterproof cast and do some aerobics in a pool?

I empathize with you and will be watching this thread for ideas.

On Tuesday, I'm having the bone in my left thumb removed at the joint and re-built with a tendon from my arm. Who knows when I'll be able to get pulled out of the water again

C'mon down to Florida for some R&R - we'll get drunk and go terrorize the babes at Disney
    Last edited by Ed G; 07-21-2011 at 05:23 AM.

Sucks to hear. Be patient & let it heal correctly & follow up with good PT. Good news is it sounds like you're still young & hopefully will recover completely. I broke/tore up a bunch of stuff in my youth & now I'm paying for those times I rushed/skipped the healing process. Stay as active as you can (within the doc's recommendations) & work hard at the PT when it's time. Sometimes the exercises and stretches will seem silly and worthless, but they'll help in the long run with full strength & mobility. Good luck...
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    Stay as active as you can (within the doc's recommendations) & work hard at the PT when it's time. Sometimes the exercises and stretches will seem silly and worthless, but they'll help in the long run with full strength & mobility. Good luck...
    ^^^ +1. do the PT. you really only get 1 chance at doing it right.

i had to miss about 6 mos worth many years ago. you'll be back out there. make the most of your crutches while you have them. they are equal to front row seats at shows and all sorts of other considerations....pref from the ladies.

Sorry to hear that brospeh, but get healed properly and do everything that Physio tells you to...years ago I was a semi-pro halfpipe rider (snow) and fell about 20 feet onto my shoulder...broke my collarbone and messed things up something fierce, improper care and physio has left me with lasting problems.

A small sacrifice now will add YEARS to your ability to do this stuff down the road, don't rush back.

Default Done

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'm typing this from my hospital bed tonight. I ended up needing surgery, 3 screws through two bones in my foot. I'm going to have 6-8 weeks worth of a casted foot, then when then cast comes off I won't be able to do anything active for about 4 months. Needless to say, my season is over........

It's so tough, this fall is my senior year water ski season and I'm the president of the team at Mizzou so it's extra tough. It's going to be torture watching my friends compete and not be able to help.

I have looked into waterproof sleeves for casts though, and needless to say I WILL be in the water and I WILL be pulled behind the boat one way or the other... I'm thinking a saucer or something nice and slow.

I can't believe how something that felt so minor is leading to basically the end of everything I love to do for a third of a year. I'm thinking I might need to find myself a girlfriend to pass the time : ) or maybe take up Ed's offer!

I think about this sort of thing all the time as I am behind the boat. I am not getting any younger so the chances of breaking something only get higher as the bones get more fragile.

Hopefully you listen to everyone and not try to rush the recovery. I have problems in my wrist from not leaving the cast on long enough, and doing more stupid stuff afterwards before it had even set itself up.

Here's my post surgery x-ray