Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sounds like a great adventure. Don't let this die on the vine due to steering clearance - just ditch the pan and dry sump that big block. Sure, it's expensive - but this ain't gonna be a cheap endeavor anyway.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post
    Thats what I like to hear, someone thats not scared. I have seen a thread done on this before so it can be done. Go for it! Im not afraid to cut mine up. Jet
    Yep, it's just fiberglass.

Quote Originally Posted by dshaff24 View Post
    Whats cool is a saltare is a big boat to you would have the cool seating of a new boat with the old styling.. I hope it works out for ya.. Definitly would be a sweet 1 off boat!
    That's why I've been gunning for a Saltare.

Quote Originally Posted by sybrmike View Post
    Sounds like a great adventure. Don't let this die on the vine due to steering clearance - just ditch the pan and dry sump that big block. Sure, it's expensive - but this ain't gonna be a cheap endeavor anyway.
    I don't quit easy, and I'm already considering that. I'm doing some measuring for exact specs this weekend.

But it's all for nothing if I can't figure out this V-drive confusion. That's one thing I know absolutely ZERO about.

A V-Drive is just a gear box haugy. Don't be scared of it. You need to find one that will handle the horsepower and torque created by a big-block. The gear ratio can be tweaked with the pitch of the prop (to some extent).

You should try the Walter Machine Company. (201)656-5654. They have made the v-drives a lot longer than people have been putting theme in wake/ski boats. The guy I talked to in their tech department was very helpful. They can probably help with the power requirements and the adapters.

I am pretty sure there several cruisers out there with 454s/496s running through v-drives.

Good luck!

Would it be wrong to place the engine forward of the steering? While this would eat up some seating capacity, it would enable maintenance access to the stearing, provide space for other accesories such as batteries, and provide equipment storage space directly above the stearing components and accesible to the users at the very rear of the boat.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick56 View Post
    A V-Drive is just a gear box haugy. Don't be scared of it. You need to find one that will handle the horsepower and torque created by a big-block. The gear ratio can be tweaked with the pitch of the prop (to some extent).

You should try the Walter Machine Company. (201)656-5654. They have made the v-drives a lot longer than people have been putting theme in wake/ski boats. The guy I talked to in their tech department was very helpful. They can probably help with the power requirements and the adapters.

I am pretty sure there several cruisers out there with 454s/496s running through v-drives.

Good luck!
    Yeah, the kicker is getting the right ratio, rotation, downward angle, width, spline count, etc. So there is a lot to cover with them. And yeah, Walter and ZF are on my call list. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by rludtke View Post
    Would it be wrong to place the engine forward of the steering? While this would eat up some seating capacity, it would enable maintenance access to the stearing, provide space for other accesories such as batteries, and provide equipment storage space directly above the stearing components and accesible to the users at the very rear of the boat.
    I'm trying to see how it's going to lay out. If it's far enough back, yes that's the plan. To have the engine pulleys above the rudder assembly so I can work on either with room. But if it's more forward than that, I'll have do as recommended with a remote oil resevoir and a low profile oil pan.

Alot of this is going to be fly by wire guessing and modifying as I go. I plan to try and start in the fall if funds allow.

Haougy I don't know for sure that it needs an adapter but I have had a saltair and I know what the trany on that looks like and I have the same v drive in my malibu now and I just had it out and I know what that looks like too. Just by looking at those I don't think they will match up. I would take the advice and call the wallter co I talked to them when I was refreshing my v drive and they seem very knowledgeable. Also keep in mind that the front of your engine which will now be facing the back of the boat needs to be angled backwards so the oil will be going to the back of the oil pan when you are trying to come up on plane, this should give you the room you need for your steering to clear. I should be taking my malibu apart in the next few days to do some troubleshooting if you would like I can take pics for you and we can also put measurements on the pics. I only have a small block in that boat but the dimensions are very close.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaltAir View Post
    ... Also keep in mind that the front of your engine which will now be facing the back of the boat needs to be angled backwards so the oil will be going to the back of the oil pan when you are trying to come up on plane, this should give you the room you need for your steering to clear...
    Does this mean that U joint is required in the primary driveshaft to accomidate the engine angle, or can the V-drive gearbox be mounted deep enough in the hull for a straight shot?
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

The angle of the V-drive will take care of that

I LOVE this idea, it's my dream to have the resources and time to tackle this project... I have to be a debbie-downer though and say, you may have found it easier starting with an old Rider so that you have the increased freeboard.

space is tight in the back. these guys pulled it off with a nautique 2001...
    http://nautiqueowners.com/forum/foru...le=2001v-drive

might as well be the first here to pull off true sub-floor ballast while you're in there.

where's the gas tank gonna go?

this is too cool...have you started yet?? ??lol