Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Yep - another "How much is it worth" thread (re: 92' sunsport)

I'm looking to purchase my first boat... don't want to spend $50k on something we may not use and/or slam into a dock. Primary goal is wakesurfing and cruising, with the requisite bit of wakeboarding, kneeboarding, etc.

I found a '92 sunsport in fair to bad shape. The hull is solid and straight, the motor runs great with good compression numbers (125-127) with ~650 hours... mechanically its a good boat. Whats wrong? Its ugly, scratched, needs interior switches and lights, muffler baffles are loose (may require a muffler - $$$?), windshield frame is loose, rear railing is loose, shower is inop, heater is inop, depth finder is inop, trailer needs brakes, etc.

I've been looking for a 92-98ish sunsport due to the composite stringers and modern windshield. They were asking $9k, talked them down to $7k, then had the pre-purchase done which manifested all of the above listed issues. If I bought it, I would throw an impeller and a muffler in it, fix the required trailer, light, and switch issues, wrap it in some black 3M Controltac and throw some ballast in it.

Cheap surf machine or huge money pit? What would be a reasonable sales price?

Thanks guys.

At 7k you have 3-5k to work with without exceeding what the boat is worth. Some pics would help. 92 was the crossover year for composite floor and stringers make sure if its wood its not rotted. Make sure you test drive it and than check the fluids.
    IMO it looks like a good deal. Good luck.

I'd pay 7k for a composite stringer sunsport as long as it had no compromising hull damage and running engine. Not sure about the cost to repair the trailer though...at 6k I would take it for sure. Look at it this way, you could probably fix the trailer, the entire interior and exterior for under 7k, which means a pristine composite sunsport at 14k which you probably would not find.

Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by sirhc View Post
    Its ugly, scratched, needs interior switches and lights, muffler baffles are loose (may require a muffler - $$$?), windshield frame is loose, rear railing is loose, shower is inop, heater is inop, depth finder is inop, trailer needs brakes, etc.
    nothing scary there...got a pic of it? does it have angled or curved windshield frame?

Thanks for the input guys.

Its got a curved windshield, which I believe is synonymous with the composite stringers? The floor feels quite solid - short of drilling into the boat, any sure-fire ways to confirm?

I don't have any pics with me on this computer. Its completely stock, complete with inoperable tape player. I've come across clean composite stringer boats in the $10k - $12k range... I really don't want to put $3k into a boat to get it worth what I've got into it when I could have bought a cleaner boat to begin with. Another consideration is that I'm financing it, and at the $10k pricepoint I get much better terms and rates. I know there is more to a deal then the monthly figure, but its hard to tell the wife that we could have spend an extra $20 a month (granted, for more years) for a much nicer boat.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by sirhc; 07-22-2011 at 11:50 AM.

Yes, curved windshield = no wood stringers.

uh, where's this boat located??...just kidding

$7k for composite stringers is a steal. lots of sellers of 91 and earlier are asking that or more. dropping $3k into a new, used boat is very common. a boat from 1992 is going to need some care.

i think you should be glad the boat is so stripped and priced accordingly. if it had a several year old cd player instead of tape, you'd still be looking at replacing it most likely. boat stereo's don't last forever and if you put a system in it, you'll prob want a nice new deck too. same if there was a crappy tower on it that you really didn't like the look of. you're not paying for someone else's bad taste or cut corners.

sounds like a cheap surf machine if it checks out. with the lower note, perhaps you can pay it off early and save on some of the higher interest rate.
    Last edited by Salty87; 07-22-2011 at 12:28 PM.

There was a rough composite black/ salt water boat for sale a few months ago on E bay. It had the same look as you are describing and no knowledge of the drivability of the boat. The trailer was also a mess. Went for $6500 or so .....

Anything under $5000 would be workable. Keep in mind the composite boats are running around the 10-13k mark for super clean and perfect.

92 was the change over year so some curved are wood, you better double check.
    Last edited by DAFF; 07-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Any way to double check without drilling into the boat?

Now I may be wrong, but I thought 91 was the crossover year. So "some" of the angled windshields had composite stringers and you had to check that. Once you hit 92 they are all full blown composite with no wood at all.

I would say if you are approved for financing to get the higher prices ones, and they are ready to go that you should get them. If you cant afford to pay cash for the boat at $7000 have you got $3000 lying around in cash to spend fixing it? Boats cost money, and keeping them in the water does too.

The other thing to ask is that list what it needs to be perfect? Or is it what you need to be up and running? A lot of people look at something like this and think they need to do everything (ie change the radio) because it doesn't work before they can use it. On an older boat on a fixed budget you do what needs to be done, and the rest gets dealt with as you get time and or money.

From the sounds of it your better off with the ready to roll boats.

If this was me I would buy the 7k boat and do the work. I am actually planning to sell my boat in the fall and look for a newer composite one over the winter.