Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Strut lubrication

Hey guys,

I'm hearing a squeal that seems to be coming from the strut. I heard that you need to lubricate the strut bearings on a yearly basis. Is this true? If so how is this done?

Cheers!!!
    Brad
    '99 Supra Legacy
    GT-40

No, I dont think so. I think its lubricated from the water?? If Its making noise, Its going out. Its a pretty easy fix though. I think mine was $20-$40 bucks??
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

There's 2 bushings on your strut - www.skidim.com ( call or email and they'll get you the right stuff.
    if they're squealing - pop off the prop, remove the coupler from the tranny and remove the coupler from the shaft - inspect that shaft where those bushings ride or replacing them will not fix your problem for too awful long - squeal may equal bad shaft wear maybe.......ya might check the packing in the shaft seal and the nut also - it'd be the time to do it too since you'll already have her broken down to parade rest.
    05' Launch 22SSV
    Saepe Expertus - Semper Fidelis - Fratres Aeterni

I left out that there's 2 allen head set screws in the strut that hold those bushings in place - they gotta come out and when you go back in -toss a little locktight on em' - I used the Vitronex bushings on my old Legacy last season and I really liked em...
    05' Launch 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by jet View Post
    No, I dont think so. I think its lubricated from the water?? If Its making noise, Its going out. Its a pretty easy fix though. I think mine was $20-$40 bucks??
    Before you start replacing stuff, when are you hearing the noise? If it is while the boat is in the water, then you have an issue. If you are turning the shaft while she is on the trailer (ie while changing a prop, or pulling a no-no and spining the drive train on the trailer) then you probably don't have a problem.
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

Well, I had to replace the circulating pump and when I started the boat back up using the "fake a lake" to make sure it wasn't leaking that's when I heard the noise. When my boat idles the shaft turns for a little while then stops. As soon as the shaft stops then I don't hear the sound. Since it's lubricated by the water do you think it's alright or do I need to replace the bushings?

Thanks for the expert advice, it's definitely appreciated.
    Brad
    '99 Supra Legacy
    GT-40

Quote Originally Posted by boatin_nut View Post
    Well, I had to replace the circulating pump and when I started the boat back up using the "fake a lake" to make sure it wasn't leaking that's when I heard the noise. When my boat idles the shaft turns for a little while then stops. As soon as the shaft stops then I don't hear the sound. Since it's lubricated by the water do you think it's alright or do I need to replace the bushings?

Thanks for the expert advice, it's definitely appreciated.
    If it is only making the noise when the boat is OUT of the water, then you are probably ok. What worries me is that your prop is turning when you start the boat. You have a 99 model, and I am pretty sure that is not normal. Have you checked to make sure that your transmission is fully in neutral? There is a mechanical linkage that will shift your transmission between Forward, Neutral, and Reverse. Make sure you can see the popet ball in each of the holes. Your tranny may be slightly in gear when it is supposed to be in Neutral.

Is your boat a V drive or Direct Drive?

P.s., I by no means consider myself an expert! I have a lot of EXPERIENCE with boats, but not an expert!
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

RT is right-- if they're dry- they may squeal. but-- I think they are on the 300 hr maint list also--- so if you don't know if they've been done etc... and yer feeling adventurous --- go drop in and run it- if she squeaks- change em!
    05' Launch 22SSV

go back to your prop and move it side to side and up n down while looking at the shaft where it comes out on the strut. If there is more than 1/8" movement then replace them
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Thanks a lot guys for the advice again. I'm not an expert either by any means, but I enjoy tinkering around with it and I'm learning a lot doing it.

RT, my boat is a direct drive.

Cheers!!
    Brad
    '99 Supra Legacy
    GT-40