Default Price for 91' Supra Sunsport

Looking into making a purchase on a 1991 Sunsport for $8,500. It has recently been painted and reupholstered and has about 1200 hours on it. I have not went to check the boat out so i do not know about the floor and stringers. The trailer it comes with need some work such as new fenders and a paint job. Thanks!

photo 4 (1).jpgphoto.jpg

Seems a tad high. Yes it has extensive work done on it but at what quality was the job done. As for the paint on the body, from the thumbnails you can tell it has been painted. So up close what does it look like?? To me it is a good start in the hunt but there are better deals out there. Be patient!!!

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Any tips on how to inspect the quality of the recent paint job and recent upholstery job? The boat is a couple of hours away and i plan to go check it out soon. Thanks!

I know this boat and the work is very well done. And i believe it has a bimini that goes with it or it did. nice boat

Other than the ghetto tower, and the non-matching giant Supra logo on the side, that's a real nice looking boat.

Check the paint for orange peel texture. Feel it for smooth consistency.

No real way to test the depth without proper equipment.

With that many hours, it has seen the water alot. Stringers and floor are soon to be shot. I would guarantee it. Make sure you do a thorough test. A popular fix was to put new plywood under new carpet to make it feel like a solid floor. So don't just go by feel.

Also, that engine and tranny are going to be tired. Real tired. So check them out thoroughly with a compression test.

I plan to go check out the boat this weekend and i came up with a couple of questions while putting together my "check list"

Stingers: To check the stringers turn the engine mount bolt and see how easy it is to turn? Visually check for rotting wood and soft spots in the floor?

Engine: Check compression, should i be looking for a certain pressure or just make sure they are all within 10%? Also looking inside the valve cover at the valve train and see how clean/dirty it is. Look for newer type gaskets.

Transmission: Just make sure it shifts smoothly? Any other ways to check the transmission?

I'm not totally sold on the boat even if everything checks out, but i have no experience with inboards and just want to start looking at them to get more familiar with what i'm looking for. Also, i've been looking at craigslist for about the past year and there aren't to many of the older supra's out in West Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by redraider08 View Post
    I plan to go check out the boat this weekend and i came up with a couple of questions while putting together my "check list"

Stingers: To check the stringers turn the engine mount bolt and see how easy it is to turn? Visually check for rotting wood and soft spots in the floor?

Engine: Check compression, should i be looking for a certain pressure or just make sure they are all within 10%? Also looking inside the valve cover at the valve train and see how clean/dirty it is. Look for newer type gaskets.

Transmission: Just make sure it shifts smoothly? Any other ways to check the transmission?

I'm not totally sold on the boat even if everything checks out, but i have no experience with inboards and just want to start looking at them to get more familiar with what i'm looking for. Also, i've been looking at craigslist for about the past year and there aren't to many of the older supra's out in West Texas.

Stringers: You're on the right track, but loosen the engine mounts first to make sure no epoxy was squirted down there to give false hope.

Engine: Above 100psi would be good. Around 120psi is close to factory spec. Below 100psi I start getting very nervous. And yes, watch for big variances.

Transmission: Shifts smoothly, no noise at idle, no noise while running, and no vibration.

Electrical: CHECK EVERYTHING!!!! If there is a button or switch hit it. Also do the same process while the engine is running in the water to make sure there isn't a power draw or short that might kill the engine while running. Check all lights, check blowers, check bilge pumps. Make sure all gauges work and are lit. Etc. Check the wiring behind the dash to see if it's been turned into a birds nest of crap and rusted wires.

Floors: Walk around bare footed to feel for any soft spots. Check near the back seats where the floor turns to seat. That is a popular collection area for water. Also check around the drivers seat. When you are looking at the engine, look at the underside of the floor. Is it new wood? It should be gray painted. If new, means the old wood was rotten and they did a band-aid fix. Stringers are probably shot too.

Mildew: Stick your head in every hole and crevice and smell for mildew. That's a good indicator on how the boat was really stored.