Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I was almost killed yesterday...

Everyone- Please be carefull..
    I was barefooting yesterday here in StCharles, Il.- off my boom -with a 5 foot line and handle. boat was up to speed when I stepped out of the boat, and made my way out to the end of the boom. The handle flipped around and landed around my neck while full-speed barefooting..... I was lucky enough to pull it off my head before falling..
    I cant imagine what would have happened if I hit the water at 38mph with a rope around my neck. My girlfriend and a few others saw everything from the boat. My girlfriend is still traumatized.
    Just everyone please be carefull.. A perfect day can turn gruesome in the blink of an eye.

OMG! Ropes of all lengths can be so dangerous! So happy all worked out ok.

My swim suit would have needed a good cleaning after something like that!
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Oh damn man. That's one of my big fears. I'm glad you are okay, that would definitely freak me out.

You are so lucky! Note to yourself, learn to deep water start! Off a boom it is very easy. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor

I have seen a lot of people combat this problem by retro-fitting a guard on their handle. All you do is take a cheap cutting board, cut it in a triangle that will fit inside your handle with room to spare for your fingers, drill holes in the edges, and secure it in place with either zip ties or a long bungee chord laced through the holes. That way, you can't fit anything larger than your fingers in the handle.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisk View Post
    I have seen a lot of people combat this problem by retro-fitting a guard on their handle. All you do is take a cheap cutting board, cut it in a triangle that will fit inside your handle with room to spare for your fingers, drill holes in the edges, and secure it in place with either zip ties or a long bungee chord laced through the holes. That way, you can't fit anything larger than your fingers in the handle.
    I think he meant the line that the handle was on wrapped around his head. I've seen it happen. The line can be bouncing from the handle hitting the water, and as soon as a body is near the line it creates a wrapping point. Once the handle hits the water sideways, the handle whips around the person like a bullwhip on a post. Hopefully you aren't going down when it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by darflinger View Post
    Everyone- Please be carefull..
    I was barefooting yesterday
    You could have stopped right there. Barefooting is the scariest thing I've ever done.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

What? You don't like going the speed that turns water to concrete, making the slightest miscalculation and getting slammed to the water's surface like a wrestler with a rag doll, only to then feel your balls follow suit as your body is turned into a pretzel, and your sack is now hitting the back of your head?

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    What? You don't like going the speed that turns water to concrete, making the slightest miscalculation and getting slammed to the water's surface like a wrestler with a rag doll, only to then feel your balls follow suit as your body is turned into a pretzel, and your sack is now hitting the back of your head?
    lmao nice wording of the situation, I guess you might have some adventures with this situation?

Glad you're o.k.

Haugy, you forgot that great sensation of coming to the surface after a face plant & wiping your face, only to have more water rush from behind your eye sockets & down your cheeks when you open your eyes - not that it's ever happened to me.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____