Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Concerns on towing vehicle over 100,000 miles?

I need some feed back on how your tow vehicle is holding up if you have over 100,000 miles on it. I currently have a 2007 Yukon Denali and just turned 100,000 miles. I really like the vehicle and concerned but how many miles will the transmission last before it goes. I keep the vehicle serviced and maintained.The reason I have the concern is I am from the old school that once a vehicle reached a 100,000 miles they fall apart. I had an Avalanche before and the transmission went out on me at 103,000 miles. So am trying to figure out whether I have anything to worry about or should I start looking for a new vehicle? Any input would be greatly appreciated. I only tow the boat a few miles each trip to the boat ramp.

I always get the same feeling even though I know it is not true. Used cars prices are really high right now, so if you are even considering it, it might be a good time to sell. If you are buying used again, you are in the same boat with the high prices, but if you are buying new there might be some legitimate reasons to do it now rather than later....

If I buy I am going to buy new. I put about 25,000 to 27,000 miles a year on my vehicle.

Transmissions are a crap shoot. Had 286k miles on my Cherokee & never had a problem, yet my new Ram 2500 went into 4th only limp mode & had the solenoid pack replaced at 5k miles? My previous 1500 was starting to show transmission wear at 165k.

I grew up when cars were done at 100k, but I think you can normally expect 150k miles on today's vehicles. Towing a few miles isn't going to shorten the life much, so I'd think you're good for a few more years.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

I had an 04 denali and used it tow a 24 from about 120,000 to 150,000 when i sold it. I felt it was possible that trans issues were coming but had no reason to think that. I replaced it with a 2500 with alison trans with 150,000 on it. I think you should be fine, ' ESP for only a few miles. I sold mine bc i was having airbag issues and mileage was terrible.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Have a 1995 Dodge 2500 with 675 000 km on it now. Lots of front end parts and 3rd trans but it pulls 5-12k lbs every day. When it comes to trans issues a simple fluid and filter change will do wonders for longevity. By looking at the magnet in the pan it will also give you an idea of the condition of the trans too.

PS the engine has never been touched.... Good ol 12valve Cummins!!!

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

I come from the diesel performance side and blowing trans is nothin new. I toasted mine at 200k in my powerstroke, but i also know it had been touched before i got it and i beat it a lil to hard. Anyways its a costly repair as i assume you know and it can leave you screwed on the side of the road. I dropped $2800 to get mine redone but i had it built a little more to handle my tunes and heavy right foot. $2800 was on the low side of getting one rebuilt i could have dropped $4500 and got a bullet proof one but i couldnt spend that much.

it all depends on the situation. What has the vehicle been through and so forth. Stop and go traffic is what kills automatics since it cant get enough air flow accross the cooler. If the trans has never been touched i would be prepared for it to start goin at anytime. Its one of them things that can last 300k or 5k there are so many parts inside an automatic trans that it will make your eyes cross when you look at a diagram.

Basically you got two choices
    1. drive it till it drops and then rebuild
    2. Sell and buy another vehicle with a warranty. (buying any used vehicle that isn't covered under warranty is not going to do you any good)

Just towed my Saltare 500 miles this past weekend on my 2000 Explorer 5.0 AWD. Now both my lower ball joints are making noise and my front differential blew a seal and leaked oil all over the place including my boat. I have almost 190,000 miles on it and considering trading it in for a Super Duty or larger SUV. Any suggestions?

my boat pullers:
    89' Jeep/Grand 220,000 mi. no tranny or eng work done. No prob pulling.
    95' 4x4 Jeep/Grand 180,000 mi. no tranny or eng work done. No prob pulling
    97' Jeep/Grand 130,000 O/D went out when I sent my wife to pick up a trailer of rental equipment, hmm. Honey did you push the towing button to take it out of O/D while you were towing?? YES!! I dont know what happened?? lol
    06' armada 66,000 pulls like a charm.

On 100,000 mi cars you have to replace before they go out, so you dont get stranded. you know a water pump will go 125,000 mi, alt-same, tranny fluid change early..change them before they go out and you will be fine.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I drive a 1999 Ford F-250 with 260,000 miles on the V-10. That truck runs like a dream and pulls just the same. I have never owned a vehicle with less than 100,000 miles on it. As long as you take care of your vehicles and due your homework on the vehicle before you buy it with that kind of mileage. You can also get the deal of the century on a vehicle with high mileage because people think they are shot when they cross that "magic" number. There is nothing that says anything happens to them at a certain mileage. Take care of your stuff and it will last a lifetime.
    Owen
    1985 Supra Comp ts6m