Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default soft floor problems

I have a 1989 sunsport with a soft floor on the observer side of the engine. I suspect the floor is three piece. I was looking for some advice an floor replacement. Is this a do it yourself project or do I need to look for a profesional. I hope my question is done right this is my first time.

thanks and keep boating
    supra lover

I am interested in this as well. My floor is a little soft in the rear corner - Supra Comp TS6M.

Default soft floor

I'd be interested in any replies as well. It sounds like your problem area is in the same spot as on my boat. I am considering hauling it to Maryville and letting a professional do the floors.
    2005 Supra 21V
    1990 Supra Sunsport Classic SOLD
    ------------------------------

unfortunately, i think it all depends on what you find under there. it may be a small fix or a big job.

Salty is right. It can be a big job for sure, especially if you don't have much fiberglass experience. It is a nasty job as well. You guys can contact [email protected] or call him at 800-320-2779, he can give you an idea of what it will cost. thanks,

Jay Warren
    Marketing Manager

Salty is right. It can be a big job for sure, especially if you don't have much fiberglass experience. It is a nasty job as well. You guys can contact [email protected] or call him at 800-320-2779, he can give you an idea of what it will cost. thanks,

Jay Warren
    Marketing Manager

Default 1989 Soft Floor Problem

WOW! I also have a 89' with a soft floor in that same area. I also have a back seat, that the backing(made of wood also) is coming apart. Does anyone know if you can get a template from Supra to make a new one. Or any other ideas would be great!! Thanks
    Andrew_Jet_Mitchell
    90' Supra Comp
    351 PCM/Power Plus
    2-8's 2-Amps 12-Disc
    Custom Painted Carb to Match Boat

Andrew - I replaced the wood on the sundeck of my '90 Sunsport. I removed the vinyl and foam and used the old sundeck for a template. I used exterior plywood (3/4 inch) and soaked it in water repellant ($3/gallon on Home Depot bargain shelf). I drilled some 3/4 inch hiles about every six inches to equalize pressure under the vinyl. It is a bit heavy so I installed some short gas lifters. It works great!
    2005 Supra 21V
    1990 Supra Sunsport Classic SOLD
    ------------------------------

hey guys just thought i would give an update.

I ended up going with a profesional. after pulling up the floor we found rotten stringers on the port side. I have no idea what caused the rot to start. no leaks were found. There was less foam on the port side than the starboard side. I checked the exhaust pipe and could find no leaks. So i don't know what else it might have been. The stringers literally crumbled in my hands. The repair man told me the only thing that kept my hull from cracking was the kevlar.
    By the way the starboard side of the boat looked like it was brand new. I got out of the shop for about 2,500. don't know if I got out ok or not. still love the boat though can't wait for warm weather.
    supra lover

Default rooten stringers

I also have a 90 supra with root on the left rear one third of the stringer. I cut the floor back, woods great but stringer is toast. I'm scabbing onto the good part of the striner from just ahead of the rear mount to the back of the boat with Mohogany glued to the floor and glued screwed and lag bolted to the good wood of the stringer then covered with new floor wood which I had cut back about a foot. I'm also pulling the engine to check for any other cracks in the fiberglass before refiberglassing the floor. I think I'll be using Mohogany on the stringer but am also looking into a resin- plastic type of material which is super strong and won't root.
    skiier