Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Vapor Lock, Replace Fuel Pump or add 2nd Low Pressure fuel pump?

My 2005 21V (350 hours) has started the dreaded Vapor Lock issues after getting hot and sitting. I can pour water on the fuel pump and the boat immediately runs normal. I have read about adding a 2nd Low Pressure Fuel pump to the fuel line as the fix... So I relocated my current fuel pump to near the fuel tank as a 2nd Low Pressure fuel pump would be located. This helped and cut down on the frequency of vapor locking but has not eliminated it. I feel like the current fuel pump is just about worn out because it is 6-7 years old and I have been running fuel with Ethanol. I wonder if I would be just as well off to go ahead and just buy a replacement for my current fuel pump and keep it located near the fuel tank. What do you guys think?

Anyone else done something like this to avoid the 2nd fuel pump?

Where is the best place to buy the fuel pump?

I found a fuel pump (Item# 55-6184) on Ski DIM .com for $313 that says it is for “ ’04 up Supra/Moomba” . Marine Parts Source .com has the same Item # for $277.52.

Is this the correct pump? Is there a better one that should be considered upon replacement?
    Zach
    05 Launch 21V

Have you tried contacting Indmar? I heard they were offering a second fuel pump to people who were having these issues. They added the second pump on 2008 models to help eliminate this problem, on my '08 I never had any vapor lock problems, even in 110 degree weather. Might be worth a call to Indmar to see if you can get one for free or a reduced cost. This issue has affected many people pre '08 and older.
    White/Charcoal, 2011 VLX
    2008 Supra 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by Fman View Post
    Have you tried contacting Indmar? I heard they were offering a second fuel pump to people who were having these issues. They added the second pump on 2008 models to help eliminate this problem, on my '08 I never had any vapor lock problems, even in 110 degree weather. Might be worth a call to Indmar to see if you can get one for free or a reduced cost. This issue has affected many people pre '08 and older.
    I have not called Indmar. I did call my local dealer and was told that Indmar might provide a pump at no cost to me but they would have to change me for Labor including testing. I figured I was just as well off to buy it on my own at that price...

Do you have a contact at Indmar?
    Zach
    05 Launch 21V

My father has an 08' model and started having the issue this season but not once seasons past. We took it into the shop twice and they could not duplicate the problem and were confused sice it is an 08' and has the two pumps. So we were leaving for a week on the lake and went back and made them work on it until we figured it out! Finally looking at another 08' they noticed that the fuel filter was between the two pumps. My fathers boat had the filter before both pumps, so they changed the sequence to mirror the other boat and we havenothad a problem. So make sure the sequence is pump filter pump.

Zach, I saw your missed call and I am now having the exact same problem! I'll give you call.

I think I am going to start by replacing my fuel pump as I'm having issues even starting the boat now. Can anyone verify those are the correct part numbers?

Fman, it would be great if Indmar replaced them for free or reduced but I have the same local dealer as Zach and I'm more than hesitant to return.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Below is contact information I have found for Indmar. I called the 800 number, was transferred to customer service, and was told they have a 2ndary fuel pump they suggest (Part# S495137) that is only available by contacting your local dealer. I asked them about providing this pump at a reduced cost and I was told that I am about 3 years out of warranty so there was nothing they could do for me. I asked them if I could just replace my current fuel pump and was told the only way to know is test the fuel pump pressure which should be between 53-58.

[email protected]

[email protected]
    Zach
    05 Launch 21V

Default Vapor lock issues

Vapor lock will usually occur during the "heak soak" cycle, between 5 to 90 minutes after shutting off the engine. The best way to avoid vapor lock is to keep the engine compartment cool. Sometimes consistantly running the blower to help with engine compartment ventalation will help. Some engine builders recommend larger fuel hose diameters with fewer bends. Running the blower before, after and during engine operation works great for me.

Quote Originally Posted by csleaver View Post
    Vapor lock will usually occur during the "heak soak" cycle, between 5 to 90 minutes after shutting off the engine. The best way to avoid vapor lock is to keep the engine compartment cool. Sometimes consistantly running the blower to help with engine compartment ventalation will help. Some engine builders recommend larger fuel hose diameters with fewer bends. Running the blower before, after and during engine operation works great for me.
    Thanks for the tips. I have tried running the blower at all times lately and that has not helped me.
    Zach
    05 Launch 21V

Had the same vapor lock issue and this is how I solved it on my 2006 21V. I went trough the same thought process with the 2nd pump. The mechanic at my dealer said save your money and do this. I thought he was crazy because it sounded too simple, but I haven't vapor locked in almost two full summers.
    1. Replace your fuel filter.
    2. Always use mid grade fuel or better
    3. Always use a fuel additive. I use Stabil for marine applications.
    I'm in Atlanta and it's been in the 90's since June and haven't had the boat vapor lock once this summer.

Hope that helps and if it does it beats spending all that money on a 2nd pump.

Scott
    2006 Supra Launch 21V

Thank You Scott.
    Zach
    05 Launch 21V