Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default No Reverse... What's the deal???

So... i have a 86 sunsport with a 351w and a PCM 1:1 transmission (i think) and long story short it will not go into reverse?
    anyone else have this problem or anyone have any ideas... i have a "mechanical" friend and says he couldn't figure it out... so anyone have any ideas...
    thanks so much!

hello,

Let me just say love the boat , i have seen your rebuild pics !

Now for the reverse issue I have the same problem on my 86 sunsport with 1:1 velvet ... I have the repair info on the trans and it seems to have a friction plate that drives the ring gear to back the boat up , with that said have you checked your fluid only after motor is warm ? if the levels are good then i would look and listen for dragging or grinding noises ...I backed mine off the ramp into sand and it stopped working so i have mine at my shop because im choosing to rebuild it . due to the stringer winter fun ! I have also heard of the selector shaft loosing seal pressure .. I hope this gives you a little more info , and if you hear of anymore info from anyone please share ... what happened with yours?

i have an 88 supra comp and my reverse went out 2 years ago with no noise at all.just wouldnt go into reverse so i took it home and removed tranny to find a broke clutch plate.im very mechanically inclined so i chose to rebuild tranny myself and have put 600 hours or so on it since rebuild with no problems and cheap tranny to rebuild to.

was it pretty simple to rebuild ? im almost ready to do mine , I see some bearings that need to be pressed ... and witch side do i pull from bell housing ? or drive side ? thanks

tallnfast -- did you ever find out what it was ?

Seems I have the same problem with my 1986 Supra Comp TS6 w/ a 351W. Forward but no reverse. When I put it in reverse she just idles up. I could use some advice on where to by the parts and any instructions.
    Thanks,
    Tom
    '86 Comp TS6M

Skidim. They will have all the parts and a manual

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

there's a lot of info on these over on correctcraftfan.com. i had the same issue three years ago in my '88 sunsport, dealt with it for a season-and-a-half and then sent it out to Fantastic Finish Marine in Ohio after hearing EVERYONE say that they are the best guys around to rebuild these. the transmission guru on that site said it's a pretty common issue once these tranny's get older, especially since not everyone takes care of them like they should. the issue on your is probably the same, snapped reverse plates. a rebuild was around $1000, get a new damper plate from them for $75-ish at the same time. the newer-style damper plates (look like a "star") are better and cheaper than other sites have them. a local shop quoted me $2200 for the rebuild, so if you pull it yourself and put the rebuilt one back in when it comes back, you'll save about a grand. good luck!
    '88 Sunsport, 2250lbs ballast, automated surf system, home made surf exhaust, surf flap, ACME 913, Krypt 6.5 HLCD's, Perfect Pass Stargazer

2007 Centurion Typhoon to be upgraded this winter!

It's not really a matter of taking care of it. The discs are graphite and wear down. The teeth that sit on the spindle eventually wear out and then reverse or forward stop working. This isn't a very hard job. You don't need to send it out. Follow the manual and anyone with the slightest mechanical ability can rebuild one in a few hours. Take your time keep everything clean and you'll have a trouble free tranny for many years. I would change the damper plate and the rear seal While its apart.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Default No Reverse... What's the deal???

Buy some reverse springs while its apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY