Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks guys for the reply. I have never taken apart a transmission but I am looking forward to seeing how this thing works. I have the boat up in New Hampshire and have a couple of more weekends before i winterize and store. This sounds like a nice project for the early spring. I have done allot of the work on this old boat, but I do have to say she has a nice sleek look to her. I hope to have this boat for several more years to come. I will follow all your advice and change the other components that you guys have mentioned. I might call on you later if I run into trouble.

Thanks again for the advice.
    Tom
    '86 Comp TS6M

I finally have my transmission on the bench ready for the dismantling. I am having difficulty removing the Pump housing. The four bolts are removed but not sure why she won't release. Is there something that I am missing?

Thanks
    '86 Comp TS6M

Yeah you have to tap it with a rubber mallet to get it free. Mine was like that also. Once you get it to move it will come out. Make sure you mark which way is up before removing it. There is on big oring and two small ones behind it.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

I have been tapping pretty hard for a couple hours now. Lubricating and tapping, nothing but a tired arm. Would i cause any damage if I applied heat?
    '86 Comp TS6M

It's just a cover with ports in it. Mine was on there pretty good. I can't remember but I may have used a screw driver that was taped up to get it loosened up. Just becareful you don't want to scar it. I think there is a notch on there

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

Got it apart. Seems like the plate pressure springs had some issues. Three of them were broken in two pieces and caused some damage to the friction clutch plate. The others springs were bent and wedged between the plates. It's worn hard on the edges and has a pretty good crack. It also seems that it blew a hole through the forward and reverse assembly bushing. Think that might of been the problem.image3.jpgimage4(1).jpg
    '86 Comp TS6M

Another pictureimage4.jpg
    '86 Comp TS6M

Yup that's bad. image.jpg here is what they are suppose to look like. Skidm sent me an extra set for some reason. Pretty sure the springs come with the rebuild kit.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady

Do you think that is the reason for no reverse? Wondering if I should replace the clutch plates or leave it alone. They whole unit looks clean. Also the hole in the forward and reverse adapter bushing. Does that need to replaced? and if so,image4.jpg is it one piece or does it come apart?

Thanks.
    '86 Comp TS6M

Myra's I would replace Those discs and springs. I would also change all the discs and fiction plates for both forward and reverse. If you have it out you just over hall the whole thing. Its not much more work. Seals orings and discs.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady