Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

ok so what is the difference verse (poly resin) and (epoxy)? There is a huge price diff but says they will work the same ...... and another thing how much resin do yall think i need for this project ....im not completely gutting the stringers just whats rottin hopefully lol ,, thanks guys

that decision is very much like the ply vs lumber choice...personal preference.

the factory used poly so there's a line of thought that epoxy is overkill and $$$$.
    however, epoxy creates a stronger bond to old fiberglass. if you prep the surfaces good enough, shouldn't be an issue.
    with poly, you must lay down chopped strand mat (CSM) before the cloth or it won't wet out properly. some of the new fancy weaves incorporate mat into the cloth.

i used 20 or 25 gallons of poly on a total rebuild. it was my first big glass'n project so there was some waste.

edit: checked out the roll of glass i have leftover. it's 36" wide, something like 6 oz, and there must be 10 or 15 lbs on the roll. i used it for the top and bottom side of the floor, not sure what else i used it on. what's your zip?
    Last edited by Salty87; 08-19-2011 at 10:50 AM.

Ok well ill think get 3 gallons to start and see where that takes me of poly , that is alot of POLY ! lol thanks man

i bit the bullet and went with epoxy, i dont want to do this job again. i now have a total of 10.5 gal sitting at the house

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    that decision is very much like the ply vs lumber choice...personal preference.

the factory used poly so there's a line of thought that epoxy is overkill and $$$$.
    however, epoxy creates a stronger bond to old fiberglass. if you prep the surfaces good enough, shouldn't be an issue.
    with poly, you must lay down chopped strand mat (CSM) before the cloth or it won't wet out properly. some of the new fancy weaves incorporate mat into the cloth.

i used 20 or 25 gallons of poly on a total rebuild. it was my first big glass'n project so there was some waste.

edit: checked out the roll of glass i have leftover. it's 36" wide, something like 6 oz, and there must be 10 or 15 lbs on the roll. i used it for the top and bottom side of the floor, not sure what else i used it on. what's your zip?
    hey Salt - my zip is 76054 hurst,tx and that would be awesome man !

Quote Originally Posted by bens250ex View Post
    i bit the bullet and went with epoxy, i dont want to do this job again. i now have a total of 10.5 gal sitting at the house
    Ben - are you doing a complete stringer job ?

Resins have a shelf life, so I would consider not purchasing all at once. I have a local retailer of bulk commercial fiberglass materials and resins. He buys resin by the barrel, and repackages it into quarts. I purchase what I need for a small project, or what I think I will consume in a week or so. It doesn't pay to by large quantities, as he doesn't offer any price breaks for larger purchases. So I would rather it sit on his shelf than mine.
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4

Color me ignorant but I can't seem to figure out how to post here. Have some questions about a a boat I got that needs to be put back together. not sure where all the pieces go.

So I traded an 84 Monte Carlo I never finishe for an 84 Supra that my friend never finished. he did new stringers, floor and all the vinal. So I have no idea where the blower goes or how it wires/ hooks up. The gas tank is not hooked up. and the (filter, glass thing) for the water to cool motor is just sitting in the engin conartment. Pics would be great if someone has a prodject going. or if there is a book/service manual . Any help would be great. Thanks.
    Last edited by Ed G; 08-20-2011 at 05:24 AM.

Clermont, Fl (wakeboarding capitol of the world)

welcome to the forums Stellargoal!

You accidentally sent your question to yourself as a visitors message, so I added it to your post.

Looks like you got it figured out, now.

regards

e

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    Ben - are you doing a complete stringer job ?
    yes every piece of wood is bein replaced