Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Question 86' supra sunsport rebuild

Hello to all !!

I have just newly became a owner of a 1986 supra sunsport , and have found out that i will be doing a CAP OFF restoration :

With that said here is what i plan to do ....

- remove motor ... done

- remove top cap of boat .... done

- remove flooring and foam and clean inside of boat ..... done

- replace stringers and lay a new drainage throughout the boat with no FOAM ....... done

- repair previous owners mistake mounting wake tower with out back plates ( fiber glass cracked ) ......done

- Re build seating bases and re upholster the whole boat ..... done

- install rudder seal and check for wear and alignment

- install new flooring , new carpet ...... done

- re seal swim platform and replace hardware and fab up backing plates and thru bolt assembly

- install new exhaust manifolds due to being cracked , depending on if i try and braze them .. ( prob not) .... replaced with new PCM

- remove supertrapps and replace with 3.5 stainless tips with integrated flapps ....done

- Drink A beer ... ran out .... got more

- find a wake plate assembly and install , a guy called "wakeup"said he has one so still waiting to hear back ..... not an issue

- I am still contemplating on painting the boat due to how much it cost and ive never painted fiberglass ..... it's at the paint shop !

- Install new wiring for radio and update the fuse breaker box ... 8 infinity's 6.5 10" infinity sub x2 , 3 alpine pdx 2 channel amps

- run new wire for speakers and LED accent lighting .... later

- install new radio and new speakers

- install new rub rail

- drink a beer

- fiind out how to lift boat off trailer to rework the trailer and bunks

- rebuild velvet drive , due to no reverse , anyone ever done this ?.....done .... very simple

- put it all back together ...

tell me your thoughts , concerns , "been there done that " , do do this ... ect

Thanks alot for all the help and look for updates along the way
    Last edited by lively; 05-01-2012 at 08:45 AM.

good to finally see your boat. sounds like a great plan with one exception...i think you'll need more beer!

so today i found some douglas fir locally for the stringers .. will be picking that up next week , this weekend i will be building a A frame and hopefully removing the cap , i dont have alot of time to work on it this weekend like i planned due to a friends wedding but ill at least get the cap off ... Ill post pictures throughout the removal....

Ha ha SALTY ! your prob right , this is gonna take awhile ... i'm hoping to be done by May 2012
    Last edited by lively; 08-17-2011 at 11:20 AM.

Got a Question guys ! I was on ebay looking at fiberglass .. and found some good prices .. but its for ( Fiberglass Cloth Roll 10oz X 60" X 30 Feet woven roving ) What is this used for far a structure goes ?

I plan to get 1708 stranded mat and some good thickeners for the stringers and the lay up , but was wondering if that 10oz would be good for the decking and 2x4s for bracing ... any help is greatly appreciated .. -Lively-

got a link? woven roven is usually heavier-duty. i used that on the 2 main stringers. it's heavier and harder to make bend but worked great. when you're grinding away, you'll notice a thicker weave that the factory used in the hull.

i have a roll of lighter cloth. i don't remember the exact details but i'd be willing to send that your way for the cost of shipping. i'll check into it if you'd like. pretty sure it's 36" wide but not 100% on that.

yeah brother that would be great .. here is the link for that cloth http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Fiber...item2a1331dd9a

and I think i want to get some stranded mat I heard that it is pretty strong , just PM me for the details on shipping ! thanks alot !! lively

Definitely need more beer...LOL!

I used 1708. I liked that it was fairly heavy with a biased weave layout to it with the mat attached on the back. The woven roving is thicker and builds up more thickness, but can be a little difficult to lay around corners / radiused areas. I went for the 1708 from a personal preference standpoint for this reason. I used only 1708 for everything structural (stringers, ribs, tabbing deck to stringers and outer hull). I used 6 oz cloth and 1 1/2 oz mat for the deck. I found US Composites usually had the best price without having to spend a bunch of time bargain shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    good to finally see your boat. sounds like a great plan with one exception...i think you'll need more beer!
    I totally agree...lots of beer involved with it. Margarita's on the weekends.

Cool

OB- Man thinking about this boat makes a fellow wanna drink lol this is by far the largest resto i will be doing yet !!

But i do plan to use 1708 for the stringers , just seen this on Ebay for $30 and it usually goes for $130 @ 30' so that sound like a good price but i just dont know wht thicknesses are used for what type of application ...

I have been looking at paint also while the cap is off im going to give it a NEW look (BLK/GRY/burnt orange) my buddie is in auto body paint so ill have him spray it !!

Im so stoked about starting this project ..

Thickness? Just keep slappin' laminantes on until you just can't stand it any more...
    Rick Ludtke
    1990 Supra Pirata
    1987 Supra Comp TS6M
    Photo Album https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=4