Default Help me tune my syn-6 so my sub doesn't sound awful.

Alright I need some help with my stereo. I made a REALLY STUPID mistake by not letting JonyB set up my stereo as I thought I could do this myself to save a trip and some time. Someone kick me in the balls if I ever try that again.

So I've got the EXACT same setup as I had in Mariah in my Saltare. 4-XS650's in boat, an XS-12 sub, all powered by a Syn-6 amp, with a WS-420 EQ.

Now it did real good in my Mariah with a small sub box, no port.

Now in the Saltare I've got room to build the Wetsounds spec box, and I did. Now the sub sounds weak as hell, and distorts when cranked.

Start of ideas:

1) The Deck: Deck has 6 RCA outs. Front, rear, and sub. I'm running the one set of RCA's into the WS420 from the REAR rca outs. I'm thinking about running the sub RCA's straight from the deck and bypassing the WS420.

2) The amp's tuning. Which I'm guessing is my problem. JonyB and worked on it for a while to get it actually put out some sound finally. At first it barely made any noise. After turning down the gain on the components it helped, but the sound was awful. Doesn't hit well, and distorts very easily.

3) The box. I've built it to Wetsounds specs for a sealed box. My guess is ported would be better, but since Wetsounds put a 5-year old in charge of the schematic for boxes, you have to have a professional builder make one. I don't know how to make baffles and vents for boxes. I just play with my wood.

Please help. Here are the pics of the amp's controls.
    The gains on channel 1-4 are down, and the Sub bass boost is actually at 1 o'clock now. And the Freq HZ for the sub is at 3 o'clock. The lower Freq HZ dial on the bottom for Channel 5-6(sub) is where it's at now.

Is there a voltage input? I know mine was barely playing when I had my amps set to high (14.4v) instead of low (12.?)

Thats just a quick shot in the dark.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Cool

Hi stupid!
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

I would start by pushing the top right button in for a mono setting. I assume you have the dual 2-ohm version sub wired in series for a 4-ohm load and have that bridged on channels 5-6? If not, you should... Would also definitely suggest running your sub rca's through the WS420 rather than bypassing it. I love having the control that it gives you over the bass when the music changes. I'm no professional but that should be a good start. Beyond that, I would look at the placement of the sub enclosure. Hope this helps.

Wink

I no stupid, you stupid.

Whelchel, I got some help from Tim and JonyB about this. I did have the button pushed in, but I was tuning the amp wrong. Sub was wired in Series per JonyB's instructions, that was right.

I was using the 420 to dial in the sub, bad move. I left only the sub RCA's in, set the ws-420 to it's set levels for the sub. Primary at maximum, and Freq at 1/4 dial. Then I tuned the sub at the amp. It's really hitting now.

Yeah, I am stereo retarded. But this helped me to understand what the dials do, and how to tune things a bit. So I at least have a better understanding. But from now on, I'm going to JonyB to get my shit done right the first time. I felt like a Chinese acrobat trying to get all this crap wired up

I did run into a problem about how to mount the amp. My mounting location turns out is not very thick fiberglass, and if I put screws through it, they would stick out the front. So right now it's mounted to the floor in my storage area. Since I'll be putting in a Syn-1 over winter for a XXX sub, I'll just leave it for now and figure out where to put it....................meaning I'm going to leave it for JonyB to figure out. HA HA HA HA

Good to hear man. I'm curious now, where were you trying to mount it that the fiberglass was too thin?