Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaltAir View Post
    For the guys that wash it on the boat what if you get the boat wet?
    A good cover that is used properly shouldn't allow the boat to get wet. I trust my cover fully to handle it as it has weathered the 70+MPH microbursts that have hammered my neighborhood this summer. If you don't feel comfortable blasting your cover with a pressure washer like I do, you could look into building a jig to support better from within the boat. The thought had crossed my mind if the cover couldn't handle a simple hit from the pressure washer that I would do that.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Clermont, Fl (wakeboarding capitol of the world)

oh man, there just ain't no way I would ever recommend using a pressure washer on a boat cover - even with the lowest pressure nozzle.

The newest ones (at least on my 2009) are sunbrella material and cost about a $1000 to replace.

If you used a PW on the old grey canvass covers, you'd blow a hole right thru them "bedsheets."

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSaltAir View Post
    For the guys that wash it on the boat what if you get the boat wet?
    My boat is someone what water proof

Actually, I sent mine to the dry cleaners and for $20.00 it looked like new when it was covered in bird droppings. Typical, I just use a garden hose with Liquid Tide Free and wash off the pollen and dirt.
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV

Quote Originally Posted by Ed G View Post
    oh man, there just ain't no way I would ever recommend using a pressure washer on a boat cover - even with the lowest pressure nozzle.

The newest ones (at least on my 2009) are sunbrella material and cost about a $1000 to replace.

If you used a PW on the old grey canvass covers, you'd blow a hole right thru them "bedsheets."
    You gotta be smart about it. I have both a gas powered one and a baby electric one that doesn't really do much except maybe "scare" the dirt and stuff. I have found that for the areas that are rather stubborn, use the electric one on the lowest PSI available, otherwise garden hose and good nozzle work best for me. The cover handles it just fine.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

LOL! - I'm gonna be smart about it and not do it!

Just like anything - whatever works for you, ain't necessarily gonna be in my bowl of cheerios.

DO NOT USE A PRESSURE WASHER

The only time you can use a pressure washer is if you had a custom vinyl cover made. My old boat had one and it was 22mil thick. No way a pressure washer was going through that.

But most are sunbrella or another fabric like variant. Either way, they breathe. That's their design, to be tightly woven enought to allow water to not soak through when treated with water repellent, but still allow mimimum air movement.

By pressure washing them, you're opening up the fabric ever so slightly everytime you do it. Over time you will lose the ability to keep water out. Yes it won't let rain through, but moisture will begin to collect on the underside like dew, which creates a hot moist environment ideal for mildew and rot. Not to mention that when you pressure wash them you can damage the stitches are reinforcement points allowing a tear later down the road.

Grab a beer, spread it out, use a normal garden hose and sprayer, and scrub it with some normal soap and water. Should take you 20 minutes to clean it. Put it up off the ground on some lawnchairs or sawhorses to dry. Done. Every 3-4 years you should retreat the cover for water repellent. If it's constantly bombarded by weather (rain and snow) do it every 2 years. This will ensure you have good water beading and runoff.

DO NOT PRESSURE WASH YOUR COVERS.

What brand water repellent do you guys use and where do you get it?
    1989 Supra SunSport | ACME 480 Prop. | 13th Floor Tower

I use a brand called "Revivex" and it can be found in stores that specialize in good camping gear...Not stores likes Dick's or Sports Unlimited

Of course theare are always places online like campmor.com