Default Ballast Bag Problem

2007 Launch 22 SSV - so my front bag fills even when the panel switch is turned off. The front bag fills and empties properly, but then wants to fill back up once I hit the panel switch off. I'm also getting alot of water down in the bilge area under the front bag. I recently took the bag completely out of the boat to dry everything out, then put it back it. It was after i put it back in that i started having the fill problem. I'm wondering whether the hoses connected to the bag are reversed. Or what else could be causing the problem.

Also, does anyone know whether the Launch 22 has a drain plus in the bilge area?? My old Supra had 2 drain plugs, 1 in the bilge/center of the boat area, and another in the rear. My 07 Launch seems to only have 1 drain plug in the rear. any info on that would be appreciated! Thanks so much! - Stacy

Stacy,

If you are having problems with bags filling when switches are off, then your issue is most likely the sprinkler valves (assuming you have the stock Gravity 3 system). The springler valve is either stuck open or there is manual switch (little black plastic tab) that you can engage that will manually keep it open. The through hull connection for the balast system has a scupper that while moving forces water into the system and thus filling the bag(s). As far as the extra water, check your bag for leaks by filling it up outside of the boat. There is also plug on the opposited end of the bag from the fill drain lines. Make sure that is secure along with your fill and drain connections. On the drain side, also make sure the hose and clamps leading to the drain pump are tight. All of this is based off my 2005 setup for my 22 SSV so I am pretty sure it is very similiar. As far as getting the hoses switched, in mine it is not possible as the drain hose is so short it can only reach the bottom connection vs the fill is longer and can reach the top.

You are not missing anything with drains, there is only the one and it is in the rear. There is a drain hole right next to the center balast bag that leads back to the main bilge. If you get a lot of standing water in the ski locker and it does not drain when the nose is high enough (ie on the trailer on the ramp or a hill) then you might have a blockage in that line. Folks have used all kinds of things to clear it out from coat hangers to air compressors to standard garden hose sprayers.

Hope this helps.

Dave
    2005 22 SSV GG

Because we don't use the front bag too often, I plumbed in a shutoff valve from the in line and just turn it on when needed. This is a know problem when underway, filling the front bag. There are solutions, but requires some expense. https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...t=ballast+fill

Our '02 has a drain at the back of the locker which flows to the rear, however, it can also allow water from the rear to the front. It also isn't flush with the bottom of the floor, so it can retain some wetness.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Mine does it all the time. Like he said there is a black switch lever that goes from reg to manual. It's set on man. now