Default Prop Nut Removal

What is the preferred method for removing the prop nut? The only info I've found so far says to just wedge a piece of wood between a blade and the hull. That seems rather crude considering what props cost and the potential for bending a blade. Can you just leave the transmission in gear or will that cause damage to it? Surely there's a better method or tool out there.
    1994 Supra TS6M

Default Replying to Topic 'Prop Nut Removal'

Sounds like your prop nut is really stuck? I'd soak it with Liquid Wrench (or its equivalent) and then have someone help you by holding the prop near the hub (while wearing gloves) while you put a large wrench (lots of torque) on it to loosen it. To get the prop off, you can buy an expensive prop puller or just go to an automotive store and buy a gear puller for a fraction of the price and it will safely and gently "pop" it off. I bought a set of gear pullers for $25 and used the largest one in the set.
    Jeff Porter
    '86 Sunsport Skier

Gizmoe,

Putting the transmission into gear will have no effect in keeping the drive shaft from spinning while trying to remove the prop-nut. These transmissions are similar to an automotive automatic transmission in that the rotating input shaft actually drives a transmission oil pump that furnishes pressure to make the transmission function. Therefore, the engine must operate to make the transmission function.

Attempting to hold the propeller by hand or by wedging a piece of wood against a propeller blade while removing the prop-nut does work but is difficult and you run the risk of damaging the prop or getting yourself hurt.

An air impact wrench works well.

However, for most do-it-yourselfers, I believe the best way to keep the drive shaft from rotating while removing the prop-nut, is to place a box-end wrench on one of the bolts that holds the drive shaft coupling together, then gently/slowly start to loosen the prop-nut. The drive shaft along with the box-end wrench will turn to a point where it will wedge against the boat’s bilge bottom and coupling which will prevent the drive shaft from turning any further. At this point, you can loosen the prop nut. I usually place a board between the box-end wrench and where it contacts the boat’s bilge just to be safe and not mar the bilge surface. It helps to have someone steady the box-end wrench until it becomes wedged tightly against the coupling and boat bilge bottom. You may have to re-tighten the coupling bolt that you put the box-end wrench on since it may turn slightly.

You can also purchase a tool from Elbert’s designed for holding the prop-shaft in place while removing the nut, but it works on the same principle as the box-end wrench suggestion.

--KG--

I think the impact wrench idea is probably your safest bet with the least probability of damaging your boat. If you dont have one handy, just tow the boat to a tire store, i'm sure you can find one that wouldnt mind hitting that nut with their impact wrench to get it off for you. They probably wont even charge you anything, but i would throw the guy a $5 just to show my appreciation.

Cheers,
    DKJ
    1992 Supra Mariah - Red
    PCM 351HO 285hp - PCM 1.23:1 Transmission
    OJ XMP 4 Blade CNC 13x15.5RH

"People do weird things to boats" -Unknown

i keep a small piece of wood in my prop bag. i place it on the crossbar of the prop guard and line the prop up so it's wedged in the way. the only way you can mess up is to not set the wood in correctly or to turn to wrench the other way. still, if you do that, the wood moves and the prop spins a little...tough to mess anything up.

what pressure i can apply to the wrench is not going to bend any blades, maybe skin a knuckle if the wrench slips...user error.

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I'll probably try KG's suggestion of using a box-end wrench on the drive shaft coupling first. That has no chance of damaging the prop or anything else.

Don't worry JFP, the nut is not stuck. I was just looking for a more elegant method for removing it.
    1994 Supra TS6M