Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New X-Star

Seems to me the new xstar is about innovation and I think they conquered that. I have not seen much about the wake but the riders seemed pretty stoked about it, even making comments like it will change the sport by allowing for new tricks to be done.

Would I buy it? No ... Has MC once again pushed the envelope on innovation? Quite possibly.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    jonyb -- you think that the new supras are any less reliable than any other boat? I'm honestly curious about that. My friends with newer mastercrafts and malibus all have shit break/fall apart just as often as I do on my 25 year old boat. I've just been assuming that if it's a boat, it's going to be broken a lot. Do you think the new Supras are even worse??
    Like I said, unless they've changed since my boat was built, maybe they have. It's not necessarily reliability, it's more about how everything is assembled. I've got a small fortune in screws that I've had to replace over the years because they used self-tapping screws in everything. In the cushions in the ballast locker, the screws have moved so much that now they won't tighten up and it's just a matter of time before the strut won't hold it anymore. Every moving part has screws like that, instead of backing plates and machined thread bolts with washers/nuts. Even the wakeplate on my boat failed because it had self-tapping screws.

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post
    Seems to me the new xstar is about innovation and I think they conquered that. I have not seen much about the wake but the riders seemed pretty stoked about it, even making comments like it will change the sport by allowing for new tricks to be done.

Would I buy it? No ... Has MC once again pushed the envelope on innovation? Quite possibly.
    I wouldn't buy one either, merely because they're way too proud. Anything over $70K and I'd rather have a cruiser or something I can drive in rough water without fear of something breaking.
    07 Launch 24SSV Gravity Games
    My Install Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    jonyb -- you think that the new supras are any less reliable than any other boat? I'm honestly curious about that. My friends with newer mastercrafts and malibus all have shit break/fall apart just as often as I do on my 25 year old boat. I've just been assuming that if it's a boat, it's going to be broken a lot. Do you think the new Supras are even worse??
    Granted - I only had my 2011 Malibu for two months, I have not had any problems with it. My Supra went in the shop on Day 2 of ownership with a check engine light (took three years to fix, yes that is Idmar, but Supra did not help), tower bolts were not tighten, and helm station came loose. Day 20, found out wind screen had a sharp edge by walk through bow. I must have cut my self a dozen times before I covered with electrical tape.
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV

Hey guys my buddy's new 2011 wakesetter is having problems with the wedge power actuators. They have gone out 2 or 3 times now at $376 and something dollars a piece but are covered under warranty for now. Yall having any probs like that? And for the record mali is NOT making the actuators. they are built by a 3rd party.
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub

I have not had any problems with mine, but I did not use my boat for the month of October. I have been traveling like crazy.
    2011 Malibu Wakesetter 247LSV