Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yes, Michael is right. THAT IS NOT A MARIAH OR EVEN CLOSE!!!!

That is essentially a Conbrio. Me personally, I would look for something else. The guy is already stretching his descriptions trying to make it more than it is. A good clean comp like that would easily go for $6,000. Which leads me to believe there is more wrong with it than he is letting on. It will be a wood stringer boat, so check the floors and stringers well.

Check the driveshaft for wobble or movement. Get under the boat and turn the prop, it will be hard, but you can do it.

Compared to the rest of the Supra line, this is the least favorable for wakeboarding. It's the smallest old school Supra out there. If the boat is in perfect shape, go for it. But take it for a lake test. I can't stress this enough, especially with it's history. You have to make sure it's running right, and smooth. If you can't, walk away right then and there. No hesitation.

Keep posting and we'll try to help you out. But just know, THAT IS NOT A MARIAH. I owned and restored a 1990 Mariah for 7 years. I know those old girls in and out. THAT IS NOT ONE, no matter what he says.

After Supra stopped making the Conbrio (1989-1991) they came out with the Esprit. The Conbrio was the open bow version of the Ts6m which was Supra's famous competition ski boat hull. I'm not sure if the Esprit has the same hull or if it is similar. I own a 1989 Conbrio and I mainly use it for skiing and a little wake-boarding. Many people on this site weigh down their Ts6m(s) with fat sac sacs and say they can make a pretty good wake. Regardless of your intentions Supra makes a great boat and you'll really enjoy it.

Hope this was helpful.

I own a '90 Conbrio, bought it with blinder's on and luckily enough have made it work, It's a ski boat, a great one at that, I don't go out boarding with more than 3 buddies ( it's a small boat as mentioned). It's my first inboard and I may just keep it forever, but I'd keep looking if you want a wake boat.
    Don't get me wrong I've weighed my boat down and loved every minute of it, but there's a learning curve to keeping the water out and you'll never get 8 people on board, correction I did it in aug this yr, and 4 of them were under 5!!!!
    90 Conbrio

Note. I'm not dogging on the boats, but compared to other Supra's bases my opinions. I've also owned a comp, and had some of the best times of my life behind it.

Nice looking boat but 8 people will sink her...... 3 adults and 5 kids under ten might be OK. The nose will scoop water from time to time but if the lakes you ride in are mostly inland then you will be fine.

Look at the seat bottoms and watch out for black or wet looking seat frames and soggy cushions... Cracks in the fibreglass near the engine mounts/ missing engine mount lag bolts are warning of weak or soft rotten stringers. Soft parts in the floor are also bad news. I too love my old comp but as a wake boarding boat the Sunsport or Saltare much wiser choices.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

I echo what everyone else has said so far. With that minimal amount of freeboard on the hull, you do sit real close to the water. I weigh my boat down for wake boarding and it is a pretty decent wake for a ski boat hull. We have gotten pretty good at driving with big waves but again, you have to pay attention as you WILL SCOOP WATER over the bow. Case in point, we were set up to idle into a channel and this major @$$ hole was coming out in a fountain and he decides that he can't wait an additional 5 seconds to add power and start getting on plane, would have swamped my stern if I wasn't ready for the dick move.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Wow I'm really blown away at how much you guys have stepped up to give me advice. Seeing that my soon to be a teen son will be driving some I think I should get a boat with less sinking characteristics so that we don't have any scares. I just don't want to step off in a big payment for my first boat. We love the water and would be in lakes and rivers for the use of the boat in lower Alabama. Really need something that we can get our family of 4 and another family on. I would really prefer a boat that has fiberglass floors and stringers so thats just one less thing to worry about.

The fiberglass floors are nice, but there is a significant price increase to get into those boats. Start thinking of the $10,000 mark on the cheap side. Realistically closer to $15,000. As winter starts in most of the world these prices will come down, but you also will not be able to lake test them.

The conbrio is a capable boat, and it is a wet ride, but its still useable. There are sunsports out there in the $5000 range as well which has more of what your son will be looking for. Wood floors or not, $5000 for a boat that runs and can be wakeboarded behind is a deal as far as I am concerned. I am in canada though, and our boats tend to cost more money up here. If it was me, I would keep looking for a sunsport in that price range. It wont be "mint" by any means, but it will be workable. And as a first boat you dont want to have a lot invested. Once you know you will use it, and you know it fits your lifestyle you can always sell this for close to what you bought it for and then get your fiberglass stringer and floor boat for more money

In no way did I want to bash the Esprit it is a great ski boat it was designed for 3 people driver, spotter and skier. I think you will be far more comfortable in a Sunsport or larger boat. If you are ever near Lake Lanier GA. give me a shout and you can test out my Sunsport.

One nice thing about lower Alabama is I can pretty much test drive a boat all year, but you're right about the prices coming down during the winter months. I'll be able to spend up to $15,000 for a cash purchase after the first of the year, but was thinking that the esprit was quite affordable. I don't want to rush a purchase and then not enjoy our time on the water. Thing is we've spent time on boats like 23' Nautiques that will leave me wanting if I don't get a boat of equal size and ability like a Supra, Nautique, MasterCrafts...etc. Doesn't have to be new just nice and able to have loads of fun on. Thanks again for all the advice and input.