Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hey Fox, how much longer you planning on waiting before you start closing up for the winter?
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Hey Jetlink. I usually do it mid to late october.
    Chauncey 2000 Malibu Response LX Monsoon 325

Michael, I also use fogging oil to kill the engine to start the winterization process but I've never kept the RPM's up while doing it. I usually just have it at idle and stop spraying shortly after the engine dies. What is the purpose for keeping RPM's up? Is it to run more of the oil through the carb?

Also, I've been meaning to ask you guys this, for those of you that have ballast systems or installed your own - what do you do for winterization of those?
    I chose to remove all of my bags and keep those in my basement through the winter, I blew out all of the lines the best I could, and then I poured simple anti-freeze into the lines that I know have low spots where water might collect.

I know none of this has to do with the original questions about the 351.. but I also make sure I use a vinyl cleaner and protectant on all of the vinyl before I put it away.

I dont want the engine to die until I have at least 3/4 of the can empty so I keep just above idle. That way the oil has a chance to work its way through and coat everything in the fuel system below the carb. By drowning it with oil at the end it will coat the cylinders and pistons before it can burn it off. I have some built in hard tanks and two extra bags. I remove the bags and then add 1 1/2 gals of RV antifreeze to the hard tanks.

Chrisk,

Are you using automotive anti-freeze? That's poisonous - you should use RV-antifreeze which is non-toxic -- just make sure you get the
    good stuff that is good enough for VERY cold temps.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

You are right about automotive antifreeze in the spring put 2 five gal buckets under the exhaust and take it to a disposal site.
    The engine was designed to have reg antifreeze. I like to keep everything wet during the winter rather than letting all the seals and gaskets dry out. RV antifreeze is probubly OK too . I have just never used it.

I use 8 gallons of RV antifreeze and don't drain the block. I pull out the thermostat so that I know that the engine is sucking in. Never had a problem.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I use 5 gallons of RV antifreeze (not the cheaper pink stuff). First pull all drains and any low hoses to drain as much water as possible, then remove thermostat to ensure good circulation when I run the antifreeze through it. I use a 5 gal bucket with a fitting and hole in the bottom and prop up high, connect hose to pickup hose off trans cooler, and fill bucket with antifreeze. Then start engine, let it run until all antifreeze is out of the bucket, pull all drains again, and pull impeller (I'll use impellers for 2-3 seasons if they still look good and are pliable).

After this it's time to clean and dry the bilge, get all the cushions bagged and stored in the garage or basement, clean what's left inside the boat, etc., etc.

Not to question anyone's methods, as I stated earlier everyone has their own way.

But for the past 22 years, I have never once used anti-freeze in my engines. They have endured weeks at a time of 2 degrees, so I'm pretty sure they could survive any winters up North as well. But as (good lord I wish I knew your name) tg08ssvggsxpexdsys said, that anti-freeze you're pouring in is toxic, and not in a closed system.

If you do absolutely feel that you need to do that, please ensure you are doing like Michael Hunter posted and making sure you capture it in Spring and dispose of it properly. If you haven't seen it, anti-freeze poisoning is an awful way for something to die. And having to shoot my own animal because some jackwagon did that was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. So please be careful if using that stuff. People take it too lightly in my opinion.

We have an inground pool so for my ballast system I used non-toxic antifreeze sold in pool stores. I simply used this because it was just laying in the ground and would serve my purpose.

I was wondering if people out there go to the trouble of removing the ballast pumps all together to ensure they don't get cracked from leftover water freezing?