Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default '05 Sunsport 24v issues

I am looking at buying a 2005 Sunsport 24v, and would like to know if any of the members on this site who actually own one could tell me some of the problem areas that they have with thier boats. And also if they are satisfied overall. I will probably use this boat for "old man" wakeboarding, meaning I still have to be able to got to work on Monday morning. skiing,and generally hanging out on. It does have the 340hp Indmar engine. Appreciate any info.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp

I have the SSV but love my boat. The 340 is def recommended. Other thoughts:

What prop?
    If you are a serious skier, I can't imagine the ski wake being good at all

I haven't had an issues with my boat that are 24v specific. I love the boat for its size and look. Wakeboard wake took a little while to dial in but its good now. Surf wave is great.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

I have the same boat as KG and agree with him on the engine. I love the boat, its interior layout and its very solid. Keep in mind the 24 is a beast with tons of space but it's not as agile as a 21 or 22. I'm not sure if the 340 has the same vapor lock issues as the 325, but you might want to check.

Thank you guys for weighing in. I've looked at several sunsports and one launch. And I have to say that other than the playpen,
    I can't really tell the difference. Looking at the size of the boat, I'm sure that the 340hp is the best way to go. I'm looking at another sunsport 24v this coming Monday. It might be the one. I've been surprised at how hard it is to find one.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp

As far as i know, the only differences are the playpen and then possibly the rear seat. I'm not sure if all, but most sunsports have the staircase cooler back there. My launch has a full bench seat.

The sunsport also likely comes with the 13x17 prop which is not ideal for pulling with any weight. Easy swap, though.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

We have an '06 SSV too. Nice and roomy. Like KG it took awhile to dial the wake, but now it's great. Good shape with tons of pop. You'll definately love the size of the boat. We do.

Steve

I was looking at your pic's and wanted to know how you mounted the white board that is holding you perko and amp. I have a 24V and thats how I want to mount my amp tis winter when I up grade the tower speakers. Did you cut the carpet away then glued it?

P.S. love my sunsport the only issue (which will be fixed wed.) is they lowered the bow roller height a month after my boat left the factory and the guy I bought it from didn't get it fixed while is was under waranty.

Quote Originally Posted by JONBLARC7 View Post
    Steve

I was looking at your pic's and wanted to know how you mounted the white board that is holding you perko and amp. I have a 24V and thats how I want to mount my amp tis winter when I up grade the tower speakers. Did you cut the carpet away then glued it?

P.S. love my sunsport the only issue (which will be fixed wed.) is they lowered the bow roller height a month after my boat left the factory and the guy I bought it from didn't get it fixed while is was under waranty.
    I have a rack mounted there and just used short screws. 4 in each corner. In hindsight, i might use some type of glue adhesive but I haven't had any issues with mine. The year before that i just screwed the amps into the fiberglass. Did the board rack this year for a cleaner look. Pic ...

2006 Supra 24SSV

Well, I bought the '05 Sunsport 24SSV. This boat is awesome! I do have my first question though, is your steering wheel extremely tight? The steering wheels on my direct drives that I have owned in the past were all very easy to turn. If this is normal, I guess that I'll just get used to it, if not, what can I do to change this. And by hard to turn, I mean truck with no power steering.
    2005 24SSV
    5.7 Indmar 340hp

Sounds like your steering cable is shot... My comp had a bad steering cable before we bought it, I had the owner fix it before I would even test drive it but it was tough to turn, took both hands before the swap. Now I can turn with my pinky finger.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski