Thread: Sunsport???

Default Sunsport???

Hey I was hoping someone could clarify if this is an 1984 Sunsport and what a decent offer would be on the boat or should I run? Is it a decent project boat that I can have on water by spring that would be great.
    http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/2552255462.html

Okay I think its called a Rider, but still is it to much work?

I think it's a fair price but you should assume it needs stringers. I think we've learned enough on this forum to assume anything that has the original wood stringers, probably needs them replaced.

Assuming that the interior is actually new and assuming you want to put the time in for stringers (it's a LOT of work) and you can handle switching the engine over.... You'd end up with a nice boat for around $6 - 7k.

Up to you if it's too much work or not.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Hey its deff a Supra Rider ..... And just wotan says ... the stringers more than likely will need to be replaced ... and the time to do the work will be about 8 months if you handy and about year and a half if your not ... Im doing mine as we speak ,and its just alot of water / foam / and fiberglass lol so ... i would offer him 2k cash money and drop 3k and you will have yourself a nice SUPRA !!

best of luck

do you have to pull the cap to replace the stringers? and I guess the real question is if I can buy a boat that cost more but is in good shape should I just take that rought and be done?

It's all a matter of personal preference & what it's worth to you. You can buy cheap & fix it up the way you want, knowing exactly the extent and quality of the work performed. Or, you can spend more on a "better" boat if the cost is justified to you - in quality, confidence, & time not spent. Keep in mind, it's a used boat & there will be work required regardless - just do your homework up front to reduce the unexpected gotcha's.

Depending on the condition of the stringers, extent of the rot, & your long term plans for the boat - cap-on partial stringer repairs can be an option, but to do it "right" for the long term - cap-off is the only way...

From the limited information available in the listing - looks like a decent price to start negotiating down from.
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____