Clermont, Fl (wakeboarding capitol of the world)

Default How do you blow up a motor?

this week, I took my boat in for it's annual service and I saw Ben Greenwood's Liquid Force Supra sitting in the parking lot (I live near The Wakeboard Camp and see this boat every day).

I asked the dealer what he was doing to it and he said, it's sitting there with a blown motor.

He was waiting to see what SC and Indmar were going to do about it.

How the heck do you blow up a motor?

Not sure if this is true, but I'm told (not by the dealer) SC loans these boats to the pro's, and the pro's are responsible for the maintenance of them...which apparently they don't do.

There are many ways to blow up a motor. You can run it out of any of its essential fluids and destroy a motor. You could also rev it way to high for way to long. I would think the most common way is by not keeping an eye on its fluid levels.

Gotta wonder how much ballast they wakeboard with on the regular? Probably a bit over stock set up...

Usually "blown up" in this context I would think refers to excessively worn main and rod bearings, causing low oil pressure or a knock. Often happens from neglecting oil changes, oil starvation (low oil level or issues with boat pitch, surfing, etc.), lugging from running too much weight/load at too low an RPM, etc. Or other random failures like head gaskets or stuff like that which could be caused by a chewwed up impeller and not noticing temp climbing, or any number of things. Generally boat motors like these don't seem to have the catastrophic failures like throwing a rod, breaking rockers or studs, etc. since they don't turn high RPM

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Usually "blown up" in this context I would think refers to excessively worn main and rod bearings, causing low oil pressure or a knock. Often happens from neglecting oil changes, oil starvation (low oil level or issues with boat pitch, surfing, etc.), lugging from running too much weight/load at too low an RPM, etc. Or other random failures like head gaskets or stuff like that which could be caused by a chewwed up impeller and not noticing temp climbing, or any number of things. Generally boat motors like these don't seem to have the catastrophic failures like throwing a rod, breaking rockers or studs, etc. since they don't turn high RPM
    It's also possible since it's such a new boat that this was a failure under warranty. Could be any number of "shit happens" scenarios.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Clermont, Fl (wakeboarding capitol of the world)

especially when you don't have to pay for the boat and lend it out to your friends.

It's easy - earlier this year my buddy let his 16 year old boy take out the big v-drive since the lake was too rough for the little jet boat. Evidently the kid took the "Air" in Air Centurion literally, got it airborne in the big waves, over revved the engine, & threw a rod. "Um, dad the boat won't start ..."
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

Think if you were a pro rida, and everyone wanted to give you a boat or have you ride there brand. Lets keep this going, now every cute girl you see wants to be your girlfriend, and every mfr wants to give you 3-4 free boards to ride. Can you say RENT CAR!! Drive it like you stole it!
    89' Comp rebuild thread:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...1923456&type=3

89' Comp Mod's and fun pic's:
    https://www.facebook.com/andrewjetm/...6666464&type=3

89' Supra/Custom Tower & Interior/Swivel Racks
    4 Blade-14X14/1600 lbs Ballast
    Roswell Bar/Led's/Krypt 6.5 HLCD's/Krypt 4200 Eq
    JL-Kicker Amps 2000 Watts/Kicker Interiors/L7 Kicker Sub