Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile help with boat that has went under

A friend of mine has given me a 1988 supra tsm6 very nice boat that needs some interior work and a little tlc the only thing is this boat has been flooded the flush fitting broke and boat went down we have drained the oil and all of the fluids and it took me about six weeks to really get to her now it seems to have gotten a little rust in the motor what should i do i have checked the starter and the altenator and they check fine but by the time i got around to her she seems to be a little tight where do i get the motor parts or is it just like a typical 351 ford motor how can i tell if it is a windsor or cleveland i thought about filling her up with pb blaster and letting her sit for a month but i want to do it right i see here on this post there seems to be some stringer issues should i fix this boat up is it worth it i have nothing in it and i have all winter. thanks chris

i guess thats up to you if you want to keep the boat and its worth it to you then stringers would be an option. I think all the 351's in these boats are the same and i want to say they are windsor? im not 100% sure someone else who has a better idea will chime in.

Yea this boat has some hours on it but it is nice and i have nothing in it i can put five in it and i would still be ok to me the the stringers look ok what is the best way to tell. is there a parts guy for these boats. i know i will need that fresh water hook up he bypassed and i need one back seat cushion he said it floated off .

Engine will need an overhaul. Water and bearing/rings will create premature wear and failure. Is the engine siezed??? If not you might get lucky with some work and sea foam in the cylinders. Pull the plugs on the engine and remove and clean the carb too. As for the trans..... It might come back to life maybe not.... First off change the fluids in everything pull the fuel tank too.

2003 Supra Launch " Gravity Games Edition"
    Dodge ram CTD tow vehicles....

Got it soaking in about 2gallons pb blaster and oil and I have sprayed all cylinders and rocker arms with pb blaster if I can get this boat running to pull the kids tubing it will be great.if I have to rebuild I will I just wanted to get it running to see how it floats I have been pulling them behind my 1966 27ft Chris craft commander and just want to give the ole girl a rest.

Will I need any special parts and is lh or rh screw any special pistons I'm a chevy man no nothing about fords

Diesel down each cylinder will clean up the rust inside. Leave the plugs out and crank it over after it has sat for a bit. Should clean the walls off nicely. I have swamped a boat in the bast and got it back to life with a fluid change and new distributor and carb. Mine didnt get water down the cyl's though. Overall, the life expectancy of that motor will have been reduced to ZERO. It may start running again. After that you need to say a prayer before each outing, and count your blessings if it makes it through each trip. Motors and water do not mix, and the life of that motor has been severely reduced.

You may want to consider looking out for a rebuilt on, or tear that one down and start with a clean block and new components.

That being said, my boat ran great for the next 2 years, and I sold it this past spring with no concerns at all. It ran great every time.

The key to restoring a swamped engine is to get it going as soon as possible. Drain the fluids/water mix (engine and transmission), replace the oil filter, oil, transmission fluid, replace the points, condenser, remove all the plugs, crank the engine over a few times to blow out the cylinders, then, replace install new plugs and fire it up. The less time that it sits post swamping the better. If you have done these steps, fire it up as soon as possible. You have nothing to loose. Once you get it going, closely monitor the operation: Oil pressure, evidence of white smoke in the exhaust, oil level in the crank case after each use, etc. The more you run it the more confidence you will build in the final integrity.
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

I totally understand I just need to get her rolled over I pulled hard on the crank this weekend I poured one gallon of pb blaster through the valves and and let her seep in the pan dropped the tongue down to make the motor as level as i could let it sit awhile and then poured a gallon of peak oil that was on sale at the zone sprayed a can of pb blaster in cylinders. i will let her sit all week and try it again this weekend I wonder how many gallons it would take to fill an engine all the way up with pb blaster at $27 a gallon diesel sounds better Im keeping my fingers crossed for now where is the best place to buy motor parts does it have special pistons or is it a normal ford 351 w just trying to get my kit ready for the rebuild if she smokes.

Does any body know the rotation of this motor