Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem with ballast filling on 07 22SSV

The last few times I have been out all three of my ballast tanks have not been filling properly. They will not fill via the dash panel fill switches (all fuses are working) whatsoever, but they will slowly fill when I open the valves and run the boat at speed. They will then pump out correctly via the dash panel switches at the end of the day.

The boat is an 07 22SSV. Anybody have any ideas what I should be looking for at fixing the problem?

I have the same boat, same year, same problem. It's usually a prime issue. When I encounter this I run the boat at planing speed and turn the pumps on and we are good to go. Very similar to whats happening when you open the valves at speed. Have you tried it this way? Can you hear your pumps working?

My research online along with extensive discussions with Jason @ Wakemakers convinced me that it's time to scrap the Supra system and install new pumps & intakes for each bag. Many others have done it with great success and will eliminate the issues inherant with the factory system. If you use your ballast system as much as we do ours, it seemed like the thing to do. I just want it to work every time, and fill/empty as fast as possible.
    2007 Supra Launch 22SSV

(2) Wetsounds Rev 10's, (6) XS-650, (1) Syn 6, (1) Syn 4, (1) Kicker 10" Sub, WS-420SQ Full RGB LED on Wetsounds
    (2) SeaBlaze 3 Blue Transom Lights
    Supra Surf swim platform
    NauticLogic GPS Speedwheel/Perfect Pass Interface
    Wakemakers Ballast Upgrade, 3 Pump Fill, 3 Pump Drain

Replace the sprinkler valve system with seperate pumps for each sac. Works much better. Way faster and more reliable I think. I never had any reliability issues with the sprikler system, just too slow. The guys at Wakemakers know their biz.

Thanks folks.....I definitely have power to the pump, as you can hear it whirring when you activate the fill switches, but the damn thing just wont pump any water in.

I initially suspected it may be the impellor in the pump that has failed, but didnt really think about the priming side of things as we have never had a problem with it before...The bags are also now filling very slowly when we open the valves and drive the boat at speed compared to previously. This also made be think there may be some sort of blockage in the system somewhere.

Doofus,
    I have an 05 21v with the same system as yours. We had similar problems all summer long. So Finally upgraded the system, but more on that later.
    First, to clear things up, your system does not have an impeller pump. It's an aerator style, which is not self priming. So, it's definitely not an impeller that needs replacing. Sorry, if you already know this, but a quick rundown of how the factory system works.
    Lets start with the intake. You've got a scupper/through-hull on the bottom of the boat that leads to a a 3/4" ball valve (emergency shutoff). Then there is one aerator style fill pump for all three bags. This leads up to the manifold, where it starts with a strainer/filter. From here it goes through one of three solenoid/sprinkler valves that direct it to the selected bag. As for draining, each bag has one very small aerator pump (again, not self priming).
    Ok, so now you're still saying what's my problem. If you can hear the pump running and when your running at planning speed the bags are filling up without the pump on, then it definitely sounds like a blockage. Do you have and seaweed or millfoil this time of year? I would start by looking at the scupper under the boat to see if anything obvious is blocking it. Then remove the back seat and cover, and check that your ball valve is fully open. Next check the strainer/filter to be sure it's not blocked. Since you say that when you open the valves, it does fill, I assume you are doing this manually via the small black switch on each valve. The fact that it is filling very slowly doesn't sound like it's a priming issue, however, as suggested by other, trying getting up to planning speed and then turning on the pump. The reason it is draining normally is because those are different pumps.
    Now, if you use your ballast system a lot and want to get away from the whole sprinkler valve system, I would suggest investing the time and a little money and replace with three individual pumps for each bag. You have two routes for this. First is using aerator pumps (much cheaper) to fill, and eliminates the sprinkler valves, but requires a few additional pieces to prevent the bags from filling on there own. This route still uses the existing drain pumps and does not have a vent line. The second route, which I opted for is using three individual reversible impeller pumps that fill and drain the system. This is more expensive but allows for venting, which means you can fill the bag to max without ever having any air trapped in it. I upgraded to an 1180lb bag up front and 750lb bags in each rear locker, and can now fill the entire system in just under 6 minutes, with no more priming or reliability concerns. If you're interested in the step by step, let me know and I can post more details.
    Ballast.jpg
    Old Ballast.jpg

Thanks for the pics. I have been interested in upgrading my ballast system, but there is SO little room in that compartment of the 21V that I have been afraid to. Sounds like a good winter project!

Lloyd

Lloyd,
    My first thoughts were the same as yours, but once you pull out the stock pump, strainer, manifold and valves, there's plenty of room to work with. Here are a few more photos of mine.
    I used the existing through-hull to feed one of the impeller pumps for the front bag, and drilled two new holes for 3/4" through-hulls for the 2 other pumps for the rear left and right bags.
    It's a very straight forward upgrade. Just invest in a good drill bit and take your time. The whole job, including replacing all fill/drain lines with 1", setting up the existing 3/4" drain lines as vents, replacing the factory bags, and electrical, took 2 of us about 10 hours. It was well worth it. Absolutely no issues what so ever. Fills and drains super fast. No leaks. No priming issues. No air trapped in the bags.

DSCN1851.jpg
    DSCN1852.jpg
    DSCN1853.jpg
    DSCN1854.jpg
    DSCN1855.jpg
    Last edited by Flyingdutchmen; 10-12-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Dutchmen, thanks heaps for the detailed reply and pics. Worth its weight in gold. Thanks again for all the info and advice. I would love to be savvy enough to think I could modify my existing system to something like yours, but not sure if i really feel confident enough to take on something like that.
    Last edited by doofus; 10-13-2011 at 12:06 AM.

Yes - thanks again. This is very helpful!

Ok, I had a better look at things today and I actually have two pumps for filling, one controls the front tank and one for the rear tanks. They are both Rule hi flow live-well pumps.

As mentioned before, if I flick the switches in the driveway, I can hear both pumps working. But today out on the water, flick the switches and you couldn't hear the pumps working at all. Get back home and try them again in the driveway, and you can hear them working again.

I am now thinking that there must be blockages somewhere near the water pickups, and when testing in the driveway the pumps are only pumping air so they will keep working, but as you can't compress water, they stop working when the boat is in the water.

Sounds like a job for next weekend...start stripping back and flushing out all hoses and pickups etc