Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

And just so you know...I do understand where you are coming from (I am building an old Alfa Romeo and it KILLS me to see them get scrapped) but it just seems a little harsh to call someone out like that.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.jrc View Post
    Attachment 8134

This boat was sitting outside for the last 5 years. It must be gutted... floor, foam, stringer removed and replaced to be brought back to life.

I have 2 options,
    1. let it go as is, a donor hull for a project like a v-drive conversion and sell for the value of the trailer, today $850
    2. or, if you are so inclined, bring your own trailer and take the boat for $0. I'll fix up the trailer as a winter project.

So, i don't see any value left in the boat today, but for someone motivated, it could turn into a really cool project, but you have to get the boat on the cheap for a project like this. So that being said, this is as cheap as it gets, if you want the donor hull only, bring a trailer and you can have it for free, or take the boat and trailer for $850.
    Just thought I would put that in there for ya Haugy....Its sad to see it die, but it was preventable if you really desired it.

Yeah I see it now. I apologize for jumping on him. But I mean really, with the way this forum blends everything together you think we read every line? Seeing the "I'd let it go for $850" in the sentence above me pretty much turned off my reader. Not too mention he was still posting pics so I assumed he was still trying to sell it.

So that does suck I missed out on it. But yeah, still shouldn't have scrapped it.

Here's a trick.....

type [b] and then put another [b] but with a / before the b and you get "FREE SALTARE COME AND GET IT, NO TRAILER"

Think we would have seen that?

I think what we have all learned from this is that Haugy is a true die hard when it comes to these old Supra boats. I am not too familiar with the work he has done with the supras he has restored in the past but suffice to say, Haugy loves these boats and to see another one slip away must be crushing to him. To have that passion for a vintage boat can sometimes lead to strong emotions and I think that is what we witnessed in this thread. If ever anyone were to suggest starting an organization to save the old supras, I would nominate Haugy to be the president. And while some of my posts in the past may have sounded a bit on the sarcastic side, this one is said with true sincerety.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

This one wasn't an unreasonable drive from me and I thought about it. I will say I did see the $850 w/ trailer AND the free without trailer. I don't need two Saltares to spend $5k fixing up a boat that I already have. If someone really wanted it I could have picked it up for the cost of gas and helped get it to wherever or held it for a bit. Heck, I could have put my Saltare in the water for a week or two and used my trailer. End of season so marina wouldn't charge me much to keep it there and I might use it more. lol Or just blocked this one up in the yard. I just couldn't jsutify picking it up for myself since I have the exact same boat, but in good condition.

I can relate to the OP though. I've scrapped several thousands of pounds of good running small block Fords, 289/302/351, a bunch of rare and hard to find parts too. When you list the stuff for sale for $1 and say come get it for whatever you wanna pay or it goes to scrap... and still nobody wants it? I felt bad for scrapping a lot of that stuff but if I'm enver gonna use it and you can't give it away, it has to go eventually because I'm not gonna "pay" to keep it by cluttering my work area forever with things I'll never use. If anyone was serious and wanted this, they could have told the OP to hold it for a bit, or posted in this thread asking if anyone local was willing to help with logistics. It's unfortunate, but maybe the value of my boat just went up?

Get chewed out by forum members or get nagged by the wife....good choice OP.

Yeah, it's sad, but look for the silver lining- our boats just got a little more rare!