Thread: Job Search

Hybrid View

Default Job Search

So I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post about this on here or not so just take it off if I'm not! : ) The basic subject of this post is to pitch myself. I'm currently a senior at the University of Missouri studying Business Administration with an emphasis in marketing. I will be graduating in May and I'm starting to become fairly nervous about my job search and the market for fresh graduates today.

I just thought I'd throw this out there and ask if there is anyone on here who may know of a connection into the marketing field or know of a job opening somewhere? I'd obviously love to turn my passion into an occupation and work in the marine industry but I understand it's not exactly the time to be picky; so, I'm honestly up for anything. I know it's a long shot but I don't really have anything to lose.

Aside from that, anyone have advice for a soon-to-be-graduate on the job hunt? Thanks in advance!

Chris,
    One suggestion.. If you have time/availability in your schedule, try to reach out to area company's and offer to be a free intern. Explain to them you want to learn! Get yourself a LinkedIn account and network on there. Try to do research to find names of marketing professionals in your area.
    I have a guy working for me today that called me in his last semester and said he needed an internship... i could not pay, but needed the help.. he interned for the semester, got a job in the industry pretty quick after graduation because he had the experience on his resume' . Also, dont limit yourself to what you consider "marketing". Look in the sales community as well. try to find some sales professionals that you could offer help too. even independent reps.
    I know about 5 independent sales reps in Columbia, MO that would all consider some "free help". if you have time available.....

send me a PM if you have interest in helping some independent reps out... (all in hunting/outdoors industry)..

The only way to get in anywhere in the marketing field right now is to either have an MBA from a top tier school with a 3.5+ GPA or know someone.

The idea of a free internship is a good one. Think of the companies where you would LOVE to work and start there. It's a paying your dues process but the idea is that they will like you so much that they'll end up hiring you (or you'll be first in line when a position opens up.)

Tell me more about what you're looking for and I'll try to help. Do you want to work in an ad agency or for a marketing team? A lot of marketing people go into sales but if I had to do it over again, I would have gone into agency work. Hard, long hours until you pay your dues but you get to work with cutting-edge, creative people and the clients ALWAYS have money to drop.

Of course, I'm in sales so it might just be a case of the grass always being greener.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Wotan, interesting to hear you'd like to work with an agency. I haven't given much thought into which side of the field I would like to be involved in; like I said before, it's a bad time to be picky. I can see your point about working in an agency, though. It would be nice to be able to cycle through projects and see fresh material over and over. I think I would enjoy that but I believe I would also enjoy working for a marketing team in an established company. It would be very rewarding working for a company that I personally enjoy or have an interest in (such as SC).

As far as the MBA goes, that's kind of out of the question right now, financially and for other reasons. I have completed 4 different internships and held a couple of different positions that have helped me learn a few things so I'm hopeful that someone will take notice and give me a chance.

Three years ago most of the collage kids supported the ''Hope and Change'' agenda . Are the students still following the Left even at the cost of their own future? I hope things work out for you maybe after the election in 2012 things will get better.

Yeah, things could be better, but it's easy on the mind to think of the half-full side of the cup: truth is, 9 out of every 10 people in America have a job. I know that may not be true for individuals in my position looking for the kind of jobs I'm looking for, but it's still nice to think about. : )