Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Draining block - Leave open or closed

I partially winterized yesterday, well when I say partially I actually only drained the block, I didn't have a chance to stabilize the gas or change the oil. My question is, I left the drain plugs open.....does it matter open or closed?

You are now going to start a debate!!

There are two thought processes...well, maybe three...neither one is wrong.

1. Drain block, manifolds, hoses COMPLETELY and leave plugs off (lubricate threads with grease, anti-seize, etc so they don't rust during lay up).
    2. Drain all of the above, fill with anti-freeze, leave plugs in.
    3. Do #2, but then drain anti-freeze as well

If you are only doing #1, make sure to raise and lower your tongue to try to get all water out...or tow boat up/down a hill...

FWIW--I use option #2 as I live in FRIGID Wisconsin and just like the added corrosion protection RV anti-freeze provides.

I have alway used option #2. Done correctly it removes all doubt and as kvand347 mentions ---it gives added corrosion protection.

Filling with Anti-freez.....by doing this, are u taking ur intake hose off, and pouring into there and turning ur motor over? I have a feeling someone is gonna smack me in a minute....

You pour the antifreeze through the upper hose on the raw water pump. Bend the hose up and pour in 3-4 gallons until you hear it coming out the exhaust. No need to run the motor. It will flow past the thermostat as long as all the water is out of it.

May 12,2011 105(2).jpg

Thanks for the help! I do plan on changing the oil.....but I just haven't had a chance to yet, and I dont want a very cold night to reach up on me without atleast getting all the water out. This is the one thing I hate about having an inboard......the drive sits so low I can't back it up my long ass drive to fit in the garage. So I have to work on it in the weather.....Oh well, I love this boat!

Quote Originally Posted by suprasam View Post
    Thanks for the help! I do plan on changing the oil.....but I just haven't had a chance to yet, and I dont want a very cold night to reach up on me without atleast getting all the water out. This is the one thing I hate about having an inboard......the drive sits so low I can't back it up my long ass drive to fit in the garage. So I have to work on it in the weather.....Oh well, I love this boat!
    Agreed! It can be a pain in the butt, but it is well worth it in the end. My tower is not collapsable so it doesn't fit in my garage either...we had a nice weekend so I got it done and in storage already.

Most cracked blocks happen in the south. Its easy to get lazy with such light winters. If you have ended your season then go ahead and do a proper winterizing just like its in the north.
    I recommend filling it with antifreeze. Even though you will get away with it 90% of the time by just draining you can still get some water trapped in passages and cause damage.
    My motto is too much is never enough.

We winterize over 300 boats a year, We always drain and then flush with a marine, non toxic antifreeze. We leave the blocks dry and plugs out. In the spring, we simply summerize, install the plugs, test run, and deliver. We have not had a frozen engine ever doing this process. Al
    Supra Beast
    Custom 496 MPI HO 425 hp
    Custom Teak floor