Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Yah, sybrmike

That stud is a through stud that is machined to the inside of the hole in the arm. When you tighten the nut on the outside it pulls against the rudder shaft to help keep it in place? Good thing I didn't beat on it too much!! LOL I have a bunch of weird pullers from a former life and it came off without any fuss once I got one on it with a good fit.

I'm new to boat repair and even when its all apart it doesn't make any sense

Glad you got it off. Yes, you've got an "old style" rudder & should have packing around the shaft under the hollow nut. I don't know what size it takes since I replaced mine with a grease & o-ring unit, but check with the guys at skidim & they'll know. Lucky you - the shaft doesn't look too worn at all.

Boat repair is kinda like working on a fine european automobile - pretty much the same as a domestic car, just occasional weird engineering & some of the parts are more expensive...
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____

interesting... without more pics, looks like you a stuffing box type rudder seal... just like the prop shaft penetration. A waxed impregnated packing rope seals the shaft. Check this out, it is a good desc. on fixing your leak properly:
    http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/...er-rebuild-r22
    mr.jrc -- 1986 Supra Saltare

Hey that is a great article mr.jrc

I don't think Im going to take the flanges off but the rest is very close to what I have going on. Called Skidim today and have packing on the way. Thanks everyone for the input and inspiration. Will post more photos as it comes together.