Default Newer Supras - XPC or similar Dripless Shaft seal questions

Wondering if anyone with a '10 or newer supra can explain/post a pic of where the water supply is routed from for your dripless shaft seal. Mine is routed (from the manf) from the exhaust manifolds - so it's getting a constant supply of hot water. After discussing with Eric at OJ, I understand Skier's Choice has since changed to a "cool water source". Apparently, using a hot water supply can cause the plastic housing to expand to a point in which the seal spins freely within the housing, causing leaks. Upon inspection of the seal and seal housing in my boat following a recent failure, it's obvious that this is what happened. I'd like to re-route the water supply - just want to make sure to tap in to the best place.

Thanks for any help.
    2008 22SSV

Quote Originally Posted by thescott View Post
    Wondering if anyone with a '10 or newer supra can explain/post a pic of where the water supply is routed from for your dripless shaft seal. Mine is routed (from the manf) from the exhaust manifolds - so it's getting a constant supply of hot water. After discussing with Eric at OJ, I understand Skier's Choice has since changed to a "cool water source". Apparently, using a hot water supply can cause the plastic housing to expand to a point in which the seal spins freely within the housing, causing leaks. Upon inspection of the seal and seal housing in my boat following a recent failure, it's obvious that this is what happened. I'd like to re-route the water supply - just want to make sure to tap in to the best place.

Thanks for any help.
    I have had the exact same problem. Best is to come off the the drain on the tranny cooler just after the impeller. iIts tight and close to the alternator. You need a bunch of brass npt fittings--- barb, elbow and reduced plus some length of hose to re route, local car quest should have the fittings
    2009 21v Worlds 340 Cat
    run your engine after you change the oil
    Doug

Awesome. Thanks for the reply!

I just posted a question on the forum, but I'm thinking this thread might have my answer. The question is, 'is it normal to see water coming out where the prop shaft goes in?' when running the boat on a hose. I noticed warm water coming out where the shaft goes in, and assumed it could be normal, as a way for the seal to be cooled (?), or lubricated by the water (?), or something. During the summer I never bilged an excess of water, so assuming I didn't have a leak around the seal, which makes me think the water coming out when running the engine might be normal. Any insights greatly appreciated.

Yes, it is normal to see water coming out of the shaft log under the boat while running on a hose. That is where the water being supplied to your shaft seal has to exit. If you look at your shaft seal, you should see a hose connected to it that is supplying water to the shaft seal housing.

Now, if the water supply to your shaft seal is hooked in to a warm/hot water source, you may want to think about re-routing it to a cool water source. As mentioned above, utilizing a hot water source can cause the plastic shaft seal housing to expand slightly which can lead to leaks/failure of the seal.
    2008 22SSV

Thanks! Always good, with all the anomalies in the boating world, to hear that something is 'normal'. Will certainly consider the source re-routing.