Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
Elevation changes affect them, humidity affects them, heat affects them... really EVERYTHING. I'll take the consistency of a FI motor all day long.

Man, you really are a 60 year old! haha
I haven't found this to be the case, it takes some really drastic changes in environment to run differently. Biggest thing is just clean air and fuel. Back in my off roading days before I got serious about sealing up my carb I'd occasionally have issues with dust or dirt getting in the air bleeds. Nothing a quick shot down the air bleeds with carb cleaner doesn't fix though. Water intrusion was sometimes a problem when dipping the hood under though.

FWIW I also converted my car and truck from electric choke to manual choke. Electric can stay on too long or come off too fast depending on temperature, and will always be choked if the engine sat a while even if no choke is required. Manual choke fixes that variability with a carb. Never ran one on a car until I had a '63 Falcon which came with manual choke, I really liked it because it just plain worked where electric was always good enough to start and run well but not dialed in exactly. I will say that thermostatic chokes off a heat tube on the exhaust and heater hose ran against them always worked best for me as they react quicte closely to engine temp vs electric choke which is more or less just a timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
Electric starters are for suckers, I prefer to hand crank all my internal combustion engines.
One of my friends hand cranks his Model T all summer long. Seriously. But screw hand crank, pony motor is where it's at for us lazy folk, or just always park on a hill. In all seriousness keeping it simple has saved me a time or two push starting or using the generator to crank it over when the starter failed. On my trucks keeping it simple has meant they work fine underwater, whereas I can't count the number of EFI trucks I've towed out of the woods after they get wet. When roads flood I don't sweat driving through, my trucks just plain work. Also, my bike is kick start.