Threaded View

Default 1989 Saltare - My god Spock, what have I done???

Hi all,

First, I'm not a Trekkie - but I think I know how Capt Kirk was feeling now that I've brought my new (old) boat home. Mixed feelings of joy and dread of the work to come.

Second, thanks to all the members here. Your knowledge and shared experience has been invaluable in my quest for an open bow, inboard, ski boat for the family.

Well, partially due to a drastic price drop resulting from the "test drive from he!!" (more on that in a later post) - I just trailered home my new (old) boat. She was advertised as a white and dark blue 23' Mariah. Well, that didn't quite jive but the price was worth checking out. Nope, she's a Saltare all right and I'm convinced the oxidation is hiding light grey and black (well as black as old gelcoat will stay). Hull's in mostly good shape with some typical dock rash and dings in places (needs gelcoat touch up, sand, polish, wax, & maybe new rubrail). Interior is completely shot, but looks like most of the trim & little pieces are there. Tandem axle VIP trailer in good shape with some surface rust (need new fenders, bunks, paint, & surge brakes repaired). 454 engine pulled strong all the way to 4300 rpm, no hesitation, no smoke, etc. Only half the gauges work (oil, water, volt, tach). New resin coated plywood has been put down over the old floor (ouch!).

But the two best parts are that all the engine and tranny mounts are rust free and tight into good wood AND SHE'S ALL MINE NOW!

I know I'll be back begging for more help and info as I bring her back into shape for next spring - Service & Repair Forum here I come... I only hope that I can help others as you have already (albeit unwittingly) helped me. I'll try to post pics along the way, but please be patient as I already have a real job, family, life, etc. Sure honey, go & buy that old boat you've always wanted - What have I done??? Thanks again (I think?)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    _______________89 Saltare Resto Project___________
    _________Then________________________Now_____