Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    It really, really, really pains me to say this...but...you are a WAY better surfer than myself. Did I mention it really pains me to say that?

Keep it up buddy! Super jealous of all the time you get to practice. I boat a lot (2-3 times a week in the summer) but only have one, yep, one surf session this year.

I will now get offline and cry...
    What's stopping you? Is it the time it takes to sack the boat out? I uesd to get some groans from the wife about the fill/empty ballast hassle, but then she tried surfing and got up on the board and since then she's been a lot more "pro surf time". hehehe.

typical weekend day for us is to launch at 8:30am. Then a couple of short wakeboard sets. Then load up the sacks and surf it up until we're somewhat satisfied. Today we were off the water at 1pm and had 3 of us wakeboard, 3 of us surf, and at the beginning of the day I tried and tried and tried to remember how the hell to get up on a slalom (I got out of the water one time, but fell over quick). Damn it sucks to try and remember how to slalom after like 10 years!!!! (I think my fail was that I wasn't leaning back enough). It REALLY pains the wife to have me try to ski because I don't take to it as naturally as a board sport.

BTW, wakeboarding for many, many years and snowboarding since I got out of college has helped the surf a LOT!
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    What's stopping you? Is it the time it takes to sack the boat out? I uesd to get some groans from the wife about the fill/empty ballast hassle, but then she tried surfing and got up on the board and since then she's been a lot more "pro surf time". hehehe.

typical weekend day for us is to launch at 8:30am. Then a couple of short wakeboard sets. Then load up the sacks and surf it up until we're somewhat satisfied. Today we were off the water at 1pm and had 3 of us wakeboard, 3 of us surf, and at the beginning of the day I tried and tried and tried to remember how the hell to get up on a slalom (I got out of the water one time, but fell over quick). Damn it sucks to try and remember how to slalom after like 10 years!!!! (I think my fail was that I wasn't leaning back enough). It REALLY pains the wife to have me try to ski because I don't take to it as naturally as a board sport.

BTW, wakeboarding for many, many years and snowboarding since I got out of college has helped the surf a LOT!
    Believe it or not it's my wife and kids that is stopping me. My wife doesn't care for boating, but will go occasionally if I ask her to. My kids just want to play on the beach or look for frogs. Everyone hates when dad wants to wakeboard or surf!

Most of my friends are busy with their family that they can't get out for a "boys day out." Such is the life of mid-thirties with wife/kids and trying to re-live our care-free twenties!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    5.8 351 HO PCM @ 285hp / PCM (40 A) 1.23:1
    Acme 422 Propeller 4 Blade 12.5 X 15.5 RH 1" Bore .105 cup
    Ballast: (2) 540 lb and (2) 350 lb Straight Line Launch Pad
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

Default Help me optimize the ballast for my 92 Sunsport DD for a surf wake.

Just find new friends with similar interests. That's what I did. A buddy of mine actually left his gf of 2 years because she hated the water. His new girlfriend is way better. She actually surfs. Haha! It's all about priorities man. Lol

I guess I should count myself lucky. I have a wife that LOVES the boat. She got stitches in her foot and can't get in the water, but still is with me EVERY trip and is happy to drive a ton. (she actually enjoys driving!!) Yes, PP is a factor in that! Although I found out yesterday that she was actually pulling back the throttle if I started to fall off the surf wave to "catch" me and let me catch up a little as I pumped the board. I totally thought all those saves were "all me" and she humbled me and told me that she saved me a handful of times. I'm actually starting to think that she's getting to be a better surf driver than me!

She also got way more passionate about boating after she got up on the surf board. My son is 7, so he's down to be on the boat and is happy for whatever. (although his fav times are when we beach it and he can play in the shallow sandy spots).

We're out 3 to 4 times a week. I also found a few people off the forums and have hooked up with them when i needed a 3rd. And we have lots of friends that are down to just have boat rides. (those are great because they never take up "behind the boat" time, ROFL!!!). I have 1 buddy that is PASSIONATE about surfing and he has more enthusiasm and time than money, so he makes up for gas contributions by putting in quite a few hours helping me wrench on the boat.

I'll make you really jealous now:
    Yesterday we were launching at 8:30 am. We had SMOOTH water and multiple wake/surf sets for 3 guys until we felt satisfied (and hungry) at 2pm. Then we cruised over to one of the guy's place that lives on a houseboat, picked up 2 more ladies, and we all went via boat to a floating restaurant and had happy hour food/drinks on the water. Dropped 1/2 our crew back at the houseboat and then cruised back to the launch pulling out at 6pm. Longest day on the water so far, and fantastic except having the gas pump shut off at $99 and realizing that I burned all that and more in a DAY. :-/

On the flip side, last weekend, we had to shut off the alarm and sleep in on Sunday when we simply couldn't find a 3rd. It's only happened to us a few times this season, but when it does, it's sad...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Stop it!!! Now you're just gloating!

No need to find new friends Villain. I've got plenty of water bug friends. Getting their schedule and my schedule to align is the tricky part!
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport
    Wakeboard: CWB Absolute w/ Faction bindings / Surfboards: Hyperlite Coex & Broadcast

"Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability." ~John Wooden

I agree kvand. But I lost a couple of friends because I have a boat and ask for help with gas from the people who ride. I ask for a portion of the gas you burn behind my boat after you ate my food and drank my beer and suddenly I'm the asshole?? Don't think so. I do have a handful of friends that like to ride, but schedules suck to align sometimes. Like this weekend my normal riding buddie is going to be In Orlando for surf expo promoting his surf brand Agenda. So I'm thinking I might just take the wife and son. Should make for a lot of riding this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by kvand347 View Post
    Believe it or not it's my wife and kids that is stopping me. My wife doesn't care for boating, but will go occasionally if I ask her to. My kids just want to play on the beach or look for frogs. Everyone hates when dad wants to wakeboard or surf!

Most of my friends are busy with their family that they can't get out for a "boys day out." Such is the life of mid-thirties with wife/kids and trying to re-live our care-free twenties!
    I know how that is. I think my wife has gone out with us a whole 1 time, ever. I bring my son along whenever he's asking for it and he's not too grumpy. I'm just glad I have a friend who goes out all the time and takes me with him. In my late 20s with a 2 year old and one on the way, the wife hate's when I go out because she's left home alone or with our son, but refuses to go out with us because then she'll have to watch our son (like she's already doing at home). Lot of arguments about me going to do what I love instead of sitting around the house not doing a lot, but it works itself out. Can't wait until I can afford a boat and my 2 kids are old enough to enjoy playing behind the boat, then she'll kinda be forced to come or not have family time. Our son talks about the boat all the time. I think 2 kids and your husband saying they want to go out is good encouragement.

Quote Originally Posted by villain View Post
    Just find new friends with similar interests. That's what I did. A buddy of mine actually left his gf of 2 years because she hated the water. His new girlfriend is way better. She actually surfs. Haha! It's all about priorities man. Lol
    Surfing > Rest of life
    Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    I have 1 buddy that is PASSIONATE about surfing and he has more enthusiasm and time than money, so he makes up for gas contributions by putting in quite a few hours helping me wrench on the boat.
    Thank you for letting me pay with wrench time. I would have to sell a kidney otherwise. btw: that fat sack has more holes to fill than a Bangkok special, will probably be ready this weekend.

Villain,

My friends are really good about gas $. Most bring their own coolers, too. Actually, the last time we were all out no one had any cash on them. I just told them to catch me next time and don't worry about it. Of course, I was a little miffed. The next day, my buddy drops off a thank you card signed by 8 people with $70 in it! Talk about some good buds!

Phathom,

I should restate my earlier post. I've had the boat out about 25 times and my wife has been out about 10. So it's not like she never goes. I just enjoy boating so much that I want to share it with her. She's been a trooper because she usually obliges without too much pressure. She surprised me twice this year asking if we could go out with some of our friends!

The bottom line is that I want to do MORE, it's just tough to get everyone on board.
    Kevin

1993 Supra Sunsport

Damn kvand, can I be friends with your friends? I still have a guy that owes me for 3 trips out. It's safe to say he isn't invited out anymore. Haha!

Quote Originally Posted by phathom View Post
    Thank you for letting me pay with wrench time. I would have to sell a kidney otherwise.
    So, last night we were under a bit of a time crunch and as BAD luck would have it, we pulled the boat out of the water and had a totally flat trailer tire.

Phathom was with us and jumped into action and basically did all the tire changing work while I used the flashlight app on my phone to give him light. He got sandy and greasy and we got the wheel changed pretty quick.

Of course I hadn't topped off the spare with air, so it was running really low. Phathom followed us to the nearest gas station and made sure we were good to go before heading home.

Good show from a riding buddy.