Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone thought/tried putting drain holes in the rear trunk locker?

So, I was curious. Has anyone thought of putting drain holes into the rear trunk storage locker? Between throwing wet life vests, ropes, and wetsuits in there and the occasional taking water over the rear corner when we're slammed with ballast for surfing; we find that it can get a bit wet in there.

I've kicked around the idea of drilling a few holes so that the water that accumulates in there has a place to go.

Thoughts?
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Default Anyone thought/tried putting drain holes in the rear trunk locker?

Mine has them already

Same for me, drain holes already there.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

My Comp's got them. Perhaps you've already got them, and they're just plugged; check the corners.
    '92 Comp ts6m

Mine did not have these stock (trunk was carpeted.)

When I turned it into a cooler, I added a drain hole and routed the line into the bilge. The problem is that it sits too close to the gas tank and the 90degree angle on the fitting broke off. Now my cooler drains onto the port side of my carpet. It drains fast enough but it's always wet/cold over there and I haven't had time to address it.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Turning it into a cooler! Now why had I never thought of that?!

insta-ballast sponsored by Coors Light. I like it

John Young, Supra Launch 21V
    Apex, NC

Quote Originally Posted by SupraLaunch21V View Post
    insta-ballast sponsored by Coors Light. I like it
    You're not too far off.

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

How is your cooler any different than the locker to start with? No side vents and a lid that opens the opposite direction?

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by ngavdba View Post
    ""This was all reinforced, insulated, fiberglassed and then rhino-lined. An expensive cooler but worth it to keep your essentials cold on a hot day! We did have 10 beers left over (out of 14 cases.) They were still cold the evening of July 5th when they were finished and it was 90F both days.....""
    -Wotan

Trayson, you commented on this before in July pic thread.
    The lid opening the opposite direction makes me laugh. That is how they did it in the early to mid 80's. Mine does that.
    Well, I tend to have a short attention span sometimes----- Hey look! Something Shiny!!!

Now what were we talking about again?

Personally, I think it's annoying that my trunk opens to the rear. Honestly, I want to get things out of there BEFORE I'm on the swim platform. We keep wetsuits, life vests, gloves, and ropes back there...