Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Well I've finally read it. Took me a while but it’s done. So the pressing issue right now is price. There are a few nicks and dings on the boat. Sure its 13 years old but I’ve got a 26 yr. old supra that has maybe three spider cracks in it. On one the bow above water line, and two around the exhaust ports on the transom. Guess I'm just more anal about taking care of a boat than some people are. It’s too good of money to throw out there and not take care of something. That's why I cry every winter while my boat sits outside under cover for the snowy winters. Wish I could give her a nice warm home for the winter but the next boat will be inside that’s for sure.

Now, I could be giving the seller more credit than he is earned right now, however from the get go he has been the most honest about problems with this boat than anyone else before him. Sure the "list" of maintenance is just routine oil changes but then again, I’ve never had my boat in the supra shop in the say.....9 years I’ve owned it either. I tend to do all the work myself. Now the rudder is in the machine shop right now getting straightened out. The prop was fixed and the shaft was looked at, said through conversation, by the supra dealer. Supra dealer actually told him what machine shop to take the rudder. It’s not spent its time indoors, definitely an outside boat, but seeing how mine is too I really can't and won't judge someone too harshly on it, long as they did their best to protect the boat as best as they could. Mine will go a couple years between buffing and this one is definitely due for some buffing and a possible wet sanding. This boat is listed for 17,500, however, I have already told him this will not happen and he is open to offers. He is also military himself which has been nice for social purposes. The boat has been water leak tested by the dealer and no water leaks in the hull were found. It does need some work but I think for under 14 it wouldn't be a bad boat....long as the shaft is ok. What do you all think?

I'm also looking at another Launch at the time too. PERSONAL THANK YOU TO HAUGY for his outstanding help in looking at these past two boats for me. I'll try not to send you out to look at any more (ha). I still owe you!

Rob.

If the shaft checks out and it tests okay on the water the 14 isn't a bad price. I would like 13 better because the rudder was clearly hit hard and for that to get hit the skegs and shaft would have gotten hit. You just don't know what happened and how bad it was.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Quote Originally Posted by vvfdfirefighter View Post
    I'm also looking at another Launch at the time too. PERSONAL THANK YOU TO HAUGY for his outstanding help in looking at these past two boats for me. I'll try not to send you out to look at any more (ha). I still owe you!

Rob.
    It was my pleasure man. It honestly helped me look back into being a certified Marine Surveyor. Be safe over in the sandbox.

Quote Originally Posted by Cusefan78 View Post
    If the shaft checks out and it tests okay on the water the 14 isn't a bad price. I would like 13 better because the rudder was clearly hit hard and for that to get hit the skegs and shaft would have gotten hit. You just don't know what happened and how bad it was.
    As I've seen the boat, there are some cosmetics that just can't be fixed, and it was full of water when I got there from sitting out. I think $13K if a VERY FAIR price for this boat. In my opinion, I'd be very hard pressed to even get to that number. I've seen 92 Sunsports and Saltares go for less and look 100 times better. And other than some minor hull changes and 1 on-board ballast tank, they are the same.

rudder_supra_before_view_2.jpg My bent rudder and hull damage cost around $5 K. Better then new structurally and new gelcoat by pro. in my case, I had a break through and leak.

Default Re: Bent Rudder questions on a proposed purchase boat

Well I bought the boat yesterday. Took 7 months to finally get down and look at it between deployments and getting married. Has a new rudder and prop But the prop shaft has been tweaked a bit. Luckily the shaft strut is still correct just bent the shaft where the prop goes on. Anyone know what part number I need for a shaft? 2000 launch DD with the Indimar assault 350?

Big shout out to Haugy for looking this boat over 6 months ago for me while I was deployed. I really appreciate your insight that made this purchase a reality!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk
    Last edited by vvfdfirefighter; 04-18-2014 at 01:24 PM.

hopefully you got a good deal, I had to fix my rudder mount area due to previous owner hitting something. Good news is it can easily be fixed by someone who knows how to do fiberglass. The gel coat is the pain to me, I still haven't gel coated mine I just ground out all the bad glass and built it all back up and sanded it flat.

Default Re: Bent Rudder questions on a proposed purchase boat

I'd say I got a good deal on her. Paid a little over 13,000 for it.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II through Tapatalk

Congrats on the boat man. Took ya some time, but I'm glad you got one you're happy with. Can't wait to see the pics as you clean her up and get her back into shape.

Congrats on the marriage too!