Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
To each his own, but FWIW, about 20 years ago WD40 disappeared from the regular stock in the hangar (I was an avionics tech for Canadian Airlines in those days). I was told, but never verified for myself, that WD40 has a corrosive aspect to it, and since then I've never sprayed the stuff on anything I valued. I truly do not know the facts, but I figure if it's no good around air planes, I'll keep it away from my boat. Everything we used was specified for the job to be done. I would advise the use of a corrosion inhibitor. In my case, my motor has a nice thin layer of oily grime on it that does the same job YMMV

I thought I'd do a quick google and found this http://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfis...-sprays.html#b

Interestingly, the CRC is the stuff we used, and it's a top performer in the test. Also of note, Boesheild T9 which was (rather ironically) made by Boeing, was also removed from use in our hangar for purportedly similar reasons as WD40.
Really? That's the first I've ever heard of that. Off to google to see what I can find. I use WD-40 for everything.