Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would agree with others based on other experiences. I had a snowmobile that acted up, took it to dealer, they diagnosed computer, manufacturer agreed, put in new ecu, and same issue, they went back thru and cleaned the terminals, connections, ground and fixed. (1200-1400 bucks to crappy 150 but still). If it would run with a ground bypass...I'm no auto or boat tech, but that would make me hope for your case that it is just a cleaning/tightening a wire first...
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

So the MEFI was dead- if you jumped it I could get the fuel injectors and fuel pump to fire, but it wouldn't do it on its own. I replaced it (for $1500), got the boat home and it ran OK for about 20 min. Then it just started to die again.... Turned out that I also had a bad fuel pressure regulator (pressure was 85+ PSI). Replaced the regulator and fuel filter and I am finally back out on the lake. Hopefully this will be it for repairs this summer.

Status Update:

Still have a slight miss. I replaced the spark plug wires and installed a permanent fuel pressure gauge. We drove it 3-4 hours this weekend and it “missed” less than 10 times. Seems to happen more at lower RPM, but happened at least once at wakeboard speed. Fuel pressure stays at 60-65 even when it misses.

What do you think I should do next? I’d love to get this solved, but now with the infrequency of the issue- I fear it will be impossible to diagnose.

Default First Tow Home - Engine just died.

Man go by a Noid light and find out what is actually missing . Or when it's missing start pulling one wire off at a time till you find one that does not change . You need to verify what is what . If you have verified that there is pressure at the rails then go to spark . I don't know this engine that well . But tell me does this have a coil pack for each cly ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

No, there is a coil that hooks to the distributor cap. I replaced this about 2 years ago and the guy as skidim said these rarely go bad. My mechanic said to try the ignition module next. I was thinking about getting one of those fancy electronic ignition conversions for it. The price difference isn't too much, but I have no idea if this is worth it or how difficult the job is.

Mike

Default First Tow Home - Engine just died.

Ok they are correct , reason I asked because COP (coil on plug) have rubber boots and will crack and cause the spark to ground to block through boot .

Don't throw money at something hoping to fix it . Lol I've spent thousands . Find out what is what and why it's caused it to fail . Less money spent happy wife ! So go get a Noid light and watch the spark miss or get weak . Or just pull one wire at a time till does not change the rpm of the engine . Then trace that back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Listen to lively, he knows what he is talking about... less money spent=happy wife!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Quote Originally Posted by Blackntan90 View Post
    Listen to lively, he knows what he is talking about... less money spent=happy wife!
    There's a great Homer Simpson quote about this, something like "If Marge isn't happy then I'm not happy. And if I'm not happy then Moe is VERY happy. But for once this isn't about MOE..."

And I agree with Lively on the diagnostic direction - it could be as simple as a bad plug wire... or if you can't trace it to a single wire, THEN you'd know it's higher up in the system. But don't throw any more expensive parts at it without more diagnostics!

UPDATE: Coil and Ignition Module replaced- 5 hours without any issues. Only $155 Happy wife