Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Mine is due for a rebuild. It takes a few more cranks to get it to fire when it's cold and it tends to flood once in a while. If I have the time to tear into it this fall I will take you photos and try to help you identify what parts are inside of mine.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Nothing wrong with an Edelbrock. I don't care for them and you'll leave some power on the table vs a Holley but just like any carb it should run fine when tuned to suit the engine.

To the OP, you need a larger accelerator pump shot. First verify you're getting a good shot. With engine off look down carb venturis and work the throttle, you should see a stream of fuel come out of the accelerator pump discharge nozzles immediately when you begin to open the throttle and continue as you open it more. If the shot is weak or inconsistent you may need to replace the accelerator pump. On an edelbrock it's typically a small cup on a plunger, you can replace the whole shebang or just the rubber cup. If the shot only begins after moving the throttle a bit you need to adjust the linkage so it begins squirting fuel immediately when touching the throttle. If all that looks goo you need a larger shot, the holes in the accelerator pump arm closest to the pump plunger/main body should give the largest shot of fuel, try that one. If that doesn't help then you need larger accelerator pump discharge nozzles. Not sure how they are sized on an Edelbrock but go up a few sizes since it's stalling and not just stumbling.

Thanks for answers guys. I will first open the carb and check if the jets, metering rods and Accelerator pump are the good ones on the original 1409; As the carburetor is a remenufactured one, came with dead floats, and came polished ! The 1409 should be shiny silver treated. I Wonder if it's a 1406 with a marine sticker on it. It could explain why it's too lean on accelerations. The 1409 should have bigger jets/metering rods and a power pump with bigger discharge. I will check it tomorrow and let you know.

Anyway, I still Wonder if I keep it or sold it. Pros and cons ?

1409 Edel : I like the fact that it is a mecanical secondary. I know when I'm on secondaries and drink alot of fuel.
    I like the metering rod system that reduces fuel consumption when there is no big load
    I don't like the fact that it is not working actually on the factory configuration

4160 (not 4150 as mentioned in the thread title) Holley : I like the fact that it works ! lol
    But : it's leaking, there is a missing spring in the secondary, it burns tons of fuel, and burns it bad regarding the smoke, smell and sparkplugs looking
    I don't like the metering plate on the secondary, making it impossible to tune.
    I don't know what to think about a vacuum secondary VS a mecanical ?
    Last edited by Sdc77; 09-15-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Sounds like your Holley has a blown power valve or a leaking float? As I said before when they rebuild the carbs they do a bunch of that model at the same time . They just combine all the parts clean them and put them together . You never get the same parts combination as the original. There is no way to know if its even the correct carb for your boat?

Hey Guys, I didn't find time yet to open the carb, but I find a photo I took when the floats were leaking, to send to the carb dealer, and look what I found :

The Accelerator pump on the left of the picture is blue. It should be Brown on the 1409 : http://www.summitracing.com/int/part...1471/overview/

The blue one is for cars application.
    I will open it soon, and I'm almost sure that it's a 1406 (for cars) with a marine sticker on it, a 3/8 in. inverted flare fuel inlet fitting, and no ported and full time vacuum ports.

I will try to figure out what is the most inexpensive solution between send it back to the dealer or trying to put back together the good parts in it.

Last edited by Sdc77; 09-22-2014 at 04:48 AM.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Is that a temporary fuel inlet ? rubber hose is a big nono on any application especially on a boat.

Is that because of the Heat?
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

No its because of the possibility of leaks . Rubber hose is easily cut by sharp components, pulleys, belts and can also be burned by hot engine parts. NO manufacture of marine engines will use rubber hose on an engine.

It's not temporary, we don't have US cost guard here, we can do what we want on our engines. I had to cut the factory fuel inlet, on Holleys it's on the front of the carb, on Eldelbroks it's on the right side. Then connected a rubber hose, as It's like that on almost every car's engine.
    I always open the engine compartment before I start the engine, to evaporate fuel vapors, to check everything and to listen to what my engine has to say. There is no fuel leak.

The 2 PVC hoses were temporary. I have now a PVC port on the front on the carb (like on Holleys), and I can put back the flame arrestor where the second PVC is connected. I could'nt fit it directly on the Edelbrock, it needed a spacer of 0.75''. So I ordered the spacer, the port, a fuel pressure regulator + gauge.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

This is a typical armature attempt to try and outdo the engineers that made it. There is a reason for every part on your boat . If they could get by with rubber hose they would if the Edelbrock was overall a superior carb then why didn't they use it? Your workmanship is poor in this country we would call you a hack. And then you try to justify your dangerous modifications by saying there are no rules to comply with. Its too bad there is nobody there to guide you . In the end you will have a worthless POS that nobody can fix.