Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first thought?

That could be a myriad of things, but again, check the battery terminal. Remove the terminals and clean the inside of the posts mating half, clean the posts themselves.
    Check the engine earth is good.

Next check all the positive terminals on the starter relay and starter.

If all of those are ok then i would start looking to replace the starter motor itself.

Quote Originally Posted by UKandH View Post
    That could be a myriad of things, but again, check the battery terminal. Remove the terminals and clean the inside of the posts mating half, clean the posts themselves.
    Check the engine earth is good.

Next check all the positive terminals on the starter relay and starter.

If all of those are ok then i would start looking to replace the starter motor itself.
    My boat is a 87 Saltare, I did look at all the connections they "seemed" to look okay, I cleaned them up as best I could. I went ahead and ordered a new starter off of Amazon per this thread: https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...hlight=saltare
    On page three, the recommendation per Wotan2525 I ordered this starter: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0094JJK7W/...332200_TE_item

Hopefully this fixes the problem....... if not I get a new starter and so begins the process of elimination!

Could be corrosion in the cable itself. Resistance means heat. If you're having heat isolated to one specific area, then check all connection points. Check the battery, check the connection at the battery, check the connection at the starter, or it could even be a starter going bad that id drawing too much current causing excessive heat. If you're getting red glowing heat, you have a problem. That's not normal.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I would replace your battery cables while you are at it. I recently replaced mine and it's like I have a new starter on there now.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    I would replace your battery cables while you are at it. I recently replaced mine and it's like I have a new starter on there now.
    I had thought about replacing the cables, but I might cut back the cable at the terminal/connector to replace the connectors, and check the inside of the cable to see if there is corrosion? I know there could be corrosion anywhere along the cable, but its a start, I heard corrosion mostly occurs at the exposed ends like the connectors at the battery or solenoid, or starter.

One other simple check for corrosion in a battery cable is if you take the cable and bend it. If you hear any cracking sound it has corrosion. Not fool proof but a good check. Also cut back 2 inches of cable, if it is still green or white you might as well replace it.
    Function before fashion!

Quote Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
    One other simple check for corrosion in a battery cable is if you take the cable and bend it. If you hear any cracking sound it has corrosion. Not fool proof but a good check. Also cut back 2 inches of cable, if it is still green or white you might as well replace it.
    I will double check everything, and check the cables. Well new starter arrived today, hope it does the trick!starter.jpg

Don't skimp on the cables. You dropped however much on a starter. Give it the juice it needs. 30 yr old cables are tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Don't skimp on the cables. You dropped however much on a starter. Give it the juice it needs. 30 yr old cables are tired.
    This may be true, or the PO may have done this... they look to be in good shape?

Either way, removed the old starter heavy beast new one was 1/3 the weight. The connections at the starter end look good but I cleaned up any superficial rust w/ 100grit,replaced the new starter. battery was placed on my charger and it read full charge as soon as it was connected. Re-cleaned the batter terminals more thoroughly and checked the connections. Hooked the boat to the hose in the driveway and fired it up, man is that sweet! All the difference in the world, fires up on the first bump, and continued to do so another half a dozen times.... should have done this a season ago!

Additionally, further inspection showed 3 wires ( I replaced them last season and now recall a few were a little short) were rubbing on the driver side exhaust manifold and had some burns on them, actually through the rubber, and were cracked and brittle..... that's nice. I replaced them with 3 old ones that I saved just in case. I think new wires are in order, again...

On to bigger and better things!