Default Vdrive oil drain plug leak

Hello. I have a 2005 21V. I've only had it for a year. I thought I noticed some oil in the bilge last season. I just changed all the fluids and noticed that there is a small leak from the drain plug on the vdrive unit.
    So my question is, should there be an o ring on that drain plug or could I put one on ( the temp would not melt it or anything).
    It's not a fast leak but oil in the bilge sucks and the level in the drive is slowly going down.
    Thanks.
    Edit. Just checked again and the drain plug won't accommodate an o ring, it has no head on it. It's just one of those square head plugs. I don't like the idea of teflon tape on the threads but any other ideas.
    Last edited by SteveK; 07-07-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Teflon tape should be okay. Unlike the oil pressure sending unit, the drain plug does not need a solid metal to metal ground. Are the threads beat up at all? Did you check the torque specs?

Did you check it to make sure it is in snuggly? Someone may have forgotten to tighten it at the last fluid change.

The threads didn't look beat up, and I didn't torque it to specs but the plug is tight. Checked it again this morning and there does not seem to be new oil. Maybe I dripped some filling it. I will keep checking it and if it does leak I will put tape on the threads to give it a try. Thanks for all the replies!!!